or Connect

Posts by rare comment

Even if sales are for replacements to iPads, those still seem like valuable sales (for example, we sold our original iPad to help finance the Mini). Perhaps troubling if the sales are in lieu of full-size iPads but, even then, better to sell that buyer an Apple product than to let the buyer go somewhere else. Small note: the 83% "not replacing" figure shows how new this market is and how much room it has before it is close to saturated.
The 3rd gen is awesome but at $400, the 2 is unbelievably priced - especially with the battery life on the 32nm process.  I miss the performance (and of course the screen) of the 3rd gen but, for me, the 2 is the unsung hero of the line up.  So I was unclear - I didn't mean that the 3rd gen was a worse machine or a bad value.  Rather, that the 2 is a screaming value (and so it annoys me every time a news article describes iPad as starting at $499 and completely ignores...
The Mini is, in many ways, the same machine as an iPad 2 so, for me, the easiest way to think about the Mini is to think about whether the iPad 2 is well priced and if a $70 price reduction is appropriate/attractive. For what it's worth, I think the iPad2 is well priced (in fact, I like the iPad 2 more than 3rd gen). And so the Mini is fairly priced. I like the iPad 2 because, although the specs are slightly dated, I find that the iPad2 still zips along on iOS6. Other...
Also, if our household is at all typical, there are a meaningful number of in-use iOS devices that cannot (3G, iPad 1, first iPod Touches) or probably should not (3GS, mid-gen iPod Touches) install iOS6. And then all the iPad 2s that were gifted to less technologically literate family members who will get upgraded the next time the family gets together. Look for a bump in adoption again at Thanksgiving and Christmas!
"It's also surprising that Apple hasn't made available for sale specialized packages of offline maps, such as national parks or regional trails, hiking and camping maps, and similar detailed, offline maps for iOS 6 users." In the long run it might be surprising not to issue packs for areas poorly served by mobile coverage but, for now, given the attention that would be paid to any errors, I think wise not to issue packs (especially for a fee).
It's free and doesn't force anyone to use it so can't complain, but the initial US locations seem off the beaten path for many/most. Almost the exact opposite of the kinds of cities that fly-over works for so far.
surface was presented with two different screens.  one was a touch screen (non traveling buttons) and the other was a more traditional keyboard (buttons have travel).
fully agree and glad I'm not alone - sorry for repost but haven't used the new comments system yet and realized I replied to the main post rather than this comment.   http://q10a1.blogspot.com/2012/06/crazy-ipad-stuff.html
I thought the same thing!  Nice to know I wasn't the only one.  http://q10a1.blogspot.com/2012/06/crazy-ipad-stuff.html
Under "Other Apple TV advantages", the review (which I very much enjoyed reading) describes iTunes extras. I haven't been able to access these from apple tv - only from the mac. Am I missing something? Thanks for mentioning the shatter effect. I've been trying to remember the name of this slideshow transition for weeks. Was it ever in apple tv? I was certain that it used to be but perhaps I'm just remembering when I used my mini as a HTPC. I still think that...