or Connect

Posts by RBR

Hey Bon Bon!    How do you really feel. ;-)   If Apple does't have some sort of "tower equivalent" that is more reasonably priced, I think it will show the future plan to kill the Pro off, just not as quickly as everyone thought.    I suppose the Hack community will be abuzz over this.    Cheers
You are so amazing! Somehow you have invented expandability of an unexpandable product.    The rest of your analysis is just as wrong.    Real professionals use computers as tools to get a job done. They value function. They really don't really care what it looks like. It's just a tool and one that does not sit on the desktop anyway. Apple needed to make some sort of "proof of life" demonstration that there was a product that was not pure vaporware to try to keep the...
I may have missed it, but I don't think the article identified whether there was a SATA controller present. It could be that Apple are using the same chassis in the models without a HDD, but are not installing the controller necessary to utilize one. There is also the matter of the power supply. It is not clear whether it is the same for the units with/without the HDD. I rather doubt that it would be possible to utilize two SSDs because the controller is almost certainly...
Only the failure of USB 3 has kept the window of opportunity open for Thunderbolt. There are so many problems with USB 3 devices which have delayed its adoption and the complete state of denial in which the vendors maintain themselves has delayed the widespread adoption of USB 3 peripherals. Cost is the major advantage of USB 3, but what does it matter when there are fundamental problems with the technology? Intel has been both slow in bringing the chipsets for...
Split? Between what? Those who think it sucks and those who want to move to something else?
Marvin,   While it is true that the market determines everything in the end, I don't see the iMac (despite the limitations that make a lot of us uncomfortable) going away any time soon.   Apple is right about one thing. There are a lot of people who not only don't ever personally go into a computer, but don't have it upgraded by someone else. I am occasionally reminded that there are a lot of people who don't even really know just which computer (Mac or PC) they have,...
Marvin,   I can't quote sales numbers, but I have been told by Apple representative, and I don't mean "Joe Blow, Genius Bar", that Apple have been amazed at the reception which the Mini received and astonished at the uses customers have found for it. They don't mention sales numbers (we are talking about Apple), but usually have some reference to selling a lot of them.    While I concede that the original Mini was an experiment of sorts, both to see what they could do and...
I'm sorry, but that is nonsense. You don't put horse shoes on your Ford Mustang just because you can buy them in big lots.    The fact of the matter is that Apple chose to use the mobile components. Apple buys enough of everything that they are achieving "economies of scale. The logic board is product specific in either event. Your argument is both unconvincing and not the case.
The mini is a bit of a paradox. Apple professes to make a computer (that isn't "cheap") which is moderately priced, but uses needlessly costly mobile components mostly so that the device can be made smaller even when there is no particular utility to the size reduction achieved.    If we were to talk of what such a computer could be, we would want to rationalize the cost of components based upon their utility. In my view, a more powerful, less costly CPU would be at the...
MSI are reportedly developing an TB external chassis with graphics card of their own design and manufacture. I can't find the reference to it just now, but there were some videos posted which were encouraging. The current TB ("TB I") can rather easily be saturated if using a graphics card and some external storage device, but TB II should be better in that regard.