or Connect

Posts by RBR

Perhaps Intel are feeling a bit insecure about the ability of various vendors to bring TB products to market which do not cause problems such as those encountered in a variety of USB 3 devices.   The bottom line is still the cost. Until Intel gets the cost down, TB will not see wide adoption. They can either bring the price down to encourage its adoption or open it up to just about everyone and hope it generates the volume to get the price down. Frankly, it is not...
What!!! Are you kidding? A workstation without internal hard drives. That's not a workstation at all. That would almost certainly kill the product and drive away the customers who used to purchase it.   "Simplifying the internals" has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's lack of commitment to the Mac Pro lineup or the long interval between updates.    Apple have said in the past, as I think was probably pointed out somewhere in this thread, that they were not going to...
Marvin,   This will wrap up the status of things.   The net install finally finished and I shut things down when it restarted and booted to the factory drive to make a disk image of the net install. I thought I could create a disk image with CCC, but I was not able to find the way. Anyway, I created a disk image of the install with Disk Utility and saved it. After reinstalling the drives in the Mini I went through the initial setup and so on. The net install did...
Marvin,   Thanks for the link to the MacWorld article. I had only found one reference to "breaking" the Fusion Drive via a convoluted process in Terminal that I was not entirely comfortable with, especially as it was a site of unknown reliability.   I can see where it would be useful to have an "automatic" Fusion process, but it would be even better if you were given the option in Disk Utility. I suppose someone ought to send that in to Apple. At this stage I am...
Marvin,   Well, I got an answer. "You can't get there from here." It's not the answer I wanted, but at least it's an answer.   It seems that the version of Disk Utility shipping with OS 10.8.2 AUTOMATICALLY creates a Fusion Drive when it senses a SSD and a rotating drive. It does so whether you want it to or not and there is no way to "break" the Fusion Drive with Disk Utility. I still have not figured out why the Logical Volume Group (drive) is not usable, but...
Thanks, Marvin,   This is getting "curiouser and curiouser".   I booted to the factory HDD, set up and admin account and connected to my WiFi network. I then got the expected "doesn't recognize" disk message for the two internal drives that had not been initialized. I clicked on "initialize" on the top window which I expected to bring up Disk Utility and, unfortunately, without thinking about it, I think I clicked on the "initialize" button on the window for the...
Thanks, macxpress and Marvin,   I will need to clone the OS over from the factory drive. I don't have an App Store purchase of Mountain Lion as this is the first Intel Mac I have acquired. I will be using it to purchase Mountain Lion to go on a 2008 (unibody) MBP I picked up and am going to do the same SSD plus rotating drive bit installation on.   One more question though. I had been told that the recovery software was a part of the OS rather than a separate...
I am setting up a new Mac Mini that I put a SSD and a 7,200 RPM HDD in before ever starting it.    I attached the factory HDD to a PPC Mac and made a disk image of it as a backup of the OEM install. (It came out at 8.66 GB so it will have to go on a flash drive.)   My question is what you may think is the best way to get the OEM install onto the SSD? (At least at the present time, my intention is to store digital photos, iTunes files & etc on the spinning...
The way it was explained to me, you could attach either a USB or eSATA device to this port. As I recall, it was on a laptop and having the combo port saved some space.
Precisely! The iMacs had an extra internal SATA controller port. You could run some wiring from it to an eSATA port (OWC did this) and get the benefit of an external drive at essentially the same speed an an internal SATA drive. It was faster than FW800 in my experience.   There seems to be some confusion about it not being a standard. SATA is a standard. It is just that there are three generations of it and a SATA 3 drive on a SATA 1 controller is only going to transfer...