or Connect

Posts by RBR

+1   AVID is offering their latest for $999 (upgrade from FCP or their earlier products), including all the plug-ins thru June15 which may make converts of the last of the FCP users and it runs on Windows equally well.   I just don't see Apple continuing the Mac Pro line for long and with their characteristic refusal to let customers know there are more reasons to consider making the move now and being done with it.
I am not sure how much of the "core beliefs" comment is tongue in cheek.   I am also not sure whether Apple have any "core beliefs" left. Sure, the company is making money hand over fist, but there is increasingly little to distinguish it from any other computer company other than margins. Sir Jonny continues to create thermally challenged products and most of the public never notices.   The whole situation at Apple is increasingly discouraging...and don't get me started...
I happen to agree that Apple will kill it. And with its passing a number of former Mac users will find other solutions. I doubt Apple will miss them, but there are rather few applications now that are not available for other platforms which will work just fine.   Cheers
Exactly!!!   (Plus a whole bunch.)
Joe the Dragon covered this: "but HP and others did lower prices and bumped up video cards / ram size over the same time frame.   Apple same price same ram and same video cards for same 2 years." (Post #123).   It is about the system, not just the CPU. Apple was frozen in time selling dated components at today's premium prices which never sits well with people.    There is increasing doubt that there will be a Sandy Bridge Xeon in a timeframe that makes much sense. If the...
I certainly agree that the iMac has become a much more attractive platform (and I don't mean the way it looks) of late, but there are still many things for which a tower is simply a better arrangement. While the TB connectors are all fine and well, one must wait on their development and compatibility and there are performance hits involved if they are daisy chained, not to mention that, for the foreseeable future, it appears that there will be price premiums for TB...
The problem with building a machine such as you suggest, even if the problems you mention are overcome with new TB motherboards is that, when Apple drops the Mac Pro, the code supporting the Mac Pro platform will be dropped rather quickly and become dated in any event.   Apple has a habit of treating users like mushrooms, you know...keep them in the dark and shovel stuff on the periodically.   I was at a presentation of a major software vendor which supports both...
The Patent Office is under a tremendous workload. A few years ago they even went so as to state that there were any number of patents that were, in the parlance of the trade, "improvidently awarded" (meaning they should not have been awarded) and instituted a limited in-house review.   It is about time that a court has declared the obvious...that the idea patented was obvious and hence was and is unpatentable. There are a lot of patents running around out there which...
Ordinarily I would have "trimmed", but this disjointed post places everything in context in my view. Sorry.
    You really have led a sheltered life.