or Connect

Posts by RBR

Haswell is supposed to be out somewhere around March/April 2013. If Apple were to incorporate the next gen TB (I'm afraid I got lost on which gen TB chipset is the presently shipping one...I thought this was a 1st gen chipset and so I am referring to whatever is "next" as a candidate for a 2013 Mac Mini) into the next release of Macs it would both improve performance potential and possibly have a lesser cost chip. I fully agree about the cabling. I fear that, having made...
I was aware that the new TB chips were supposed to be "cheaper", but had not picked up on the specific price point. The problem with the current chip set is that it has been about a $100 upcharge over essentially the same products w/o TB. That's just a big pill to swallow for most of the market when USB 3 is "good enough" for the overwhelming majority of people who are simply using an external hard drive either for backup or additional storage. At present, people who want...
Marvin,   A couple of comments:   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    You silver tongued devil!    I will have to follow the MSI link, but, from the reference to using a 150 watt card, MSI must have provided a power supply for their expansion chassis. All the rest of the TB expansion chassis I have seen were restricted to the power supplied by the TB port which meant that there really were not any graphics cards that were useful at that low a power level and then...
The expansion chassis are appealing in several regards. They allow changing PCIe cards in closed platforms such as the iMac or Mini, but...the problem is that Thunderbolt is not fast enough to use a moderately fast graphics card. The bus would be rapidly saturated as it is essentially a 1X PCIe lane whereas most graphics cards on motherboards are on 8X if not 16X PCIe slots (ignoring, for the moment, the Crossfire and other multiple card setups).  OWC, among others,...
My understanding is that Thunderbolt must have "direct access" to the graphics processor rather than it needing to be on the motherboard. For example, a PCIe expansion card can not add TB to a system that does not have it. The TB chip needs to be on the MB and configured to directly address the graphics processor whether it is on the MB or in a PCIe slot.There are examples of PC MBs on the market that have TB and a PCIe slot for the graphics card.   Still, I will take an...
 Amen, brother.From your lips to Tim's ears.
Steve's last advice was to not ask what he would have done. Trying to be someone else seldom works out and he knew it.
Really? My experience and that of a lot of other people is that feedback is a giant black hole, the circular storage file which is there almost entirely for PR reasons to make people think that the company listens. I have been told that Apple takes these comments seriously, etc, etc by company men, but I don't actually believe them, at least in part because of the examples they cite. There were some OS problems that resulted in tens of thousands, if not hundreds of...
"Yes, but..."   You should remember that the PC manufacturers operate at much lower margins. If one were to compare "build cost", the way some of the teardown sites do, most times Apple's pricing will be higher due to their margins. One notable exception, however, appears to be the Surface which I saw an article indicating that it has a 53% margin. By the way, the article was critical of that and posited that it would not meet with public approval.   I think enough...
The reason I still prefer discreet graphics processors in a slot is it gives you the option to change it out in a year or two if/when something strikingly better comes along. That said, I would not grumble too loudly if Apple were to solder a good GPU on the board, one that includes more VRAM than is currently their practice. The units are available, indeed, they are commonplace in the PC community.   I don't think Adobe would want to, or has the capability of creating...