or Connect

Posts by RBR

Distance certainly does matter...putting RAM closer to the CPU, for instance helps as does a substantial on chip cache...but I wonder about soldering RAM in high end machines. I certainly cold foresee a new physical interface though.   If a high end machine has a RAM module go belly up, it simply would not be an acceptable to say "get a new motherboard". RAM does go bad for any number of reasons. Having spent time watching customers buying various products at an Apple...
wizard69,   The biggest reason to keep a FW port is to support the large number of video cameras which still use it. Who knows how long that will be the case? Otherwise FW is an evolutionary dead end.   I certainly agree that Ivy Bridge offers good performance. Haswell is supposed to offer comparable performance, but with substantially reduced power requirements. In the mobile arena this should improve battery life or allow the use of smaller/lighter batteries...
What I'd really like to see is a Goldilocks model  (Pro is too big, Mini is too small, this one is just right). I'll call it a Mac Midi. It would have a discreet GPU, 32 GB RAM capability, at least one, and preferably more than one PCIe slots, perhaps for a graphics card, but so you could put a bootable PCIe SSD in it to get some real speed. It would also use a 3 1/2 inch hard drive with space for two which would allow you to choose a wide variety of drives to install. I...
I see your point, but from the perspective of a user, the iPad 3 actually performed poorer than the iPad 2 in some respects because of the inability of the CPU to process the (larger) image files as quickly. The iPad 4, on the other hand, does improve performance which is the normal expectation of consumers when purchasing a next generation product or "next year's model".   Sure, the "next year's model" is not always better, take, for example, automobiles in the '70s....

My question is what Apple will have next spring. While the iPad unquestionably has an advantage in the number and maturity of available applications, the form factor is now dated compared to the ones being offered by a number of others. Sure, you can buy a keyboard from Apple that works OK, but it is clunky and inconvenient to carry around. Some of the third party keyboard solutions are a bit better, but still no where nearly as well integrated as those offered by Asus,...
I hope the new head of the iOS team actually uses the product. It has been obvious that iOS has been designed by people who never used it. There are many crude implementations in iOS and things left out that anyone who has ever used OS X would immediately say where is (fill in the blank). iOS needs a fresh start from a clean sheet of paper.
Are you really that dense?   If Apple can't get it off the assembly line without it getting scratched and dented, just how do you expect to use it without it getting messed up even more?   Think before you stick your foot in your mouth. Now that it is in your mouth, chew vigorously.
Didn't anyone at Apple actually look at whether the design could actually be mass produced? It looks like somebody slept through that class.   If the back is getting dinged and scratched up in assembly, what is it going to look like after it has been used a month?   Somebody goofed, big time, on this one.  
Marvin,   Thanks for the clarification.   Nevertheless, I hope Apple sticks with x86 and other off-the-shelf hardware, or at least hardware co-developed with someone like Thunderbolt, and sticks to refining the system and user experience that defines the Mac rather than going out on some small evolutionary tree limb that may be a dead end.    I am looking forward to seeing more of what can be done with Haswell. It should be interesting. I hope Apple will make...