or Connect

Posts by RBR

Let's hope that Apple have made a rationalized, integrated design of the new machines the first time around instead of screwing up and putting old, old, out of date stuff (for which they undoubtedly paid premium prices) on supposedly new machines and abusing customers who have to make lemonade when confronted with a batch of lemons. Take for example the defective firewire implementations (not to mention the inability to boot off of external firewire devices on the B&W...
We should hope that Motorola continues to improve the G4 even if/when Apple moves to the 9XX chips for the entire lineup. Why? Upgrades. There are a lot of machines out there that would benefit from newer CPU upgrades be they from Moto or IBMs discussed G3+. Moto will be under a lot of pressure about pricing if the 9XX prices undercut Moto G4 pricing and also if G3 + prices are relative to the 9XX prices.
X 2.7 will suffice until then. Why should Apple wait half a year to get those 970s out? They can be making money NOW! Gaining market share NOW! It all counts. That's two quarters worth of growth. To get 'power'Mac sales off life support. How about to just stop the losses?
It really makes more sense to put an ATA/133 chip set on the board even though the optical drives won't utilize the speed because they are the chip set in current volume production (cost) and because using an ATA/133 chip set allows the installation of (legacy) PATA hard drives and such which can use the speed and "big drive" capability that ATA/66 lacks. There is some doubt that the optical drives will change to SATA until the next major revision which is due with the...
You will get NO speed increase unless you able to run the drives in a RAID configuration that can support more than 150MBps throughput. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- At the moment there is not a huge performance difference, but the plug and play and cabling is better. SATA drives are also all single channel which affects performance in a multi-drive configuration. The drives that will be coming out will be...
The drives have been shipping for a little while now. They are available from multiple manufacturers and more are coming on line all the time. I would vote for keeping ATA 100 or 133 for the optical drives as the chips don't really cost anything more than an ATA 33 chip set and then you would have the option of supporting some existing PATA drives that a user might want to install to transfer data or use for backup or whatever, just because they have some left that work.
There is almost no downside to adopting SATA HDs for the new machines. There should be very little cost difference if Apple would just use industry standard parts. In the case of optical drives, most of them are run off of a separate controller on the logic board anyway and the devices are slow enough that there probably would be no particular performance benefit from adopting SATA for them at this time. Apple could use the ATA/100 or ATA/133 controller for the...
Is this really the guy shareholders want leading the company at a time when its future is very much being shaped by current actions?
MacWorld/UK has an article quoting IBM putting out a few more details. Nothing really new in the particulars, but confirming them.
Or, their schedule was always 970 @ 130nm, 970+ @ 90nm, 980 at 90nm, etc. That's the impression I've had since last fall from the available documentation. [/B][/QUOTE] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I know that I saw a PDF (these things take up drive space, but I really have to start saving them) that had the 980 being introduced with a 130 nm process, but it may be that that plan was scrapped and I did not see...