or Connect

Posts by RBR

I made no claim about Android being superior in concept and execution. I am simply saying that if Apple turn out yet another small iPhone I will be inclined to try something else. I liked  the larger screen that much. There is also the matter of 4G. If the new iPhone is not 3G and has a small screen, it is a virtual certainty that I will not buy it.   As to iOS, I did 'ding' it. Just a few examples: It has huge memory leaks which degrade performance and require frequent...
I don't agree, but that is why companies should offer a mix of products to suit the needs of their customers.
iOS may look spiffy on the outside, but it has a lot of problems in both concept and execution underneath the surface that should never have been there in the first place.
Well, yea, people are waiting because Apple are very late to the 4G party and the screen is too small. I am not going to say that this is a make or break phone for Apple, but it is a very important one. If Apple under delivers on this one there just could be a lot of new Android users. If you have not yet done so, pick up one of the larger screen phones at the store and play with it a few minutes. The screen size is a game changer. Jonny Ive is so fixated on small and...
I am not sure what your problem is with eSATA. I have used it and it is far and away superior to USB 2 or FW 800. I find it inexcusable that Apple failed to adopt it. It may not have been "perfect" in a mobile platform, but it was/is still quite useful. OWC even had a mod for the iMac that simply put an eSATA port in it and connected to an unused SATA port on the logic board. It is not rocket science.   I will say this one last time. Thunderbolt is an improvement over...
Aside from an actual RAID array controlled from the computer, there are a variety of NAS RAID arrays that are useful even if they are only run through a Gigabit Ethernet connection which is doable from a Mini. TB NAS is good as well. I would not call a RAID 5 array an outright "consumer" feature, but there are a good many enthusiasts who want it for speed and safety...your data will survive the loss of one drive, but that is no substitute for a proper backup plan. RAID 5...
The story about eSATA is that it was much faster than anything else Apple was offering and Apple was stagnant, if not outright resistant to improved technology that was mature. Yes, today it is slower than Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is not what you seem to think it is, however. Thunderbolt is a subset of external PCIe. It has two lanes, one each way. That is a lot less than is available from a proper internal PCIe slot. (e.g. 4 or 8 lanes if your board only has one 16 lane...
In no particular order, a UPS should be a given on any computer system, save, perhaps, a laptop.   I quite agree with your comments about RAID drives. Anything less than an enterprise quality drive is an invitation to trouble, if not outright disaster. A hardware RAID card (which needs another PCIe slot) is the best solution. RAID 5 has a number of advantages over RAID 0. RAID 10 is OK, but RAID 6 has a number of drawbacks despite its seeming appeal of requiring the...
OK, here we go.   You can add me to the list of people who would be very interested in an X-Mac/Tower. It should have a LOT of drive bays for a RAID 5 (or even RAID 10) array and be capable of taking lots of RAM. A Photoshop machine can easily use 32 GB (4x8 GB) or even more. One of the things I have against the iMac is that there are no PCIe slots. There are some very fast PCIe SSDs on the market now (some are bootable too!). Thunderbolt can not make up for that. Oh,...
I can't believe that anyone is still believing the 'data hog' nonsense that AT&T pumps out.