or Connect

Posts by shadash

The FOSS article you cited above portrays it as unreasonable. That's enough for me for now, although I suspect we'll find out definitively in court soon enough. I don't think the Moto patents would have been included in the standard if their 2.25% rate had been known at the time.
And Microsoft has no commitment to be reasonable.
Microsoft's patents aren't FRAND though, whether they're valid or not.
Maybe not discriminatory, but is it reasonable? From the article: "Mueller calculated that Motorola is demanding a rate from Microsoft for a single patent related to H.264 that is between 73 and 146 times greater than the entire H.264 licensing royalties sought by MPEG LA for use of the entire patent pool." I wonder if Google is pulling strings to get their "open" video format back on track...
I think its a partial rebuttal. But you make a really good point that I didn't think of. The GM economy is huge.
True, but I think it is safe to stay that without Apple the "App Economy" would not exist - at least not nearly on the scale it does now. The $4 billion paid out to App Store developers dwarfs payouts by the rest you mentioned.
This is an interesting rebuttal to the New York times piece, specifically this: "Apple employs 43,000 people in the United States and 20,000 overseas, a small fraction of the over 400,000 American workers at General Motors in the 1950s, or the hundreds of thousands at General Electric in the 1980s. Many more people work for Apple’s contractors: an additional 700,000 people engineer, build and assemble iPads, iPhones and Apple’s other products. But almost none of them...
They're right about one thing in that commercial: "The Next Big Thing is Already Here." That thing is frigging huge.
Only if you view "customers" as the carriers. Otherwise you can get an iPhone 4S or whatever piece of crap HTC happened to release that week, for the same 200 bucks.
This is not an accurate summary of any of the posts on this topic I have seen. The issue is not "XX v. Apple." No one here goes on rants about Blackberry, Nokia, or other Apple competitors. And until very recently, both had higher market share than the iPhone. The issue with Android is: 1. What seems to be pervasive lack of respect for IP on Google's part - and not just Apple's. 2. The hypocritical and false claim to being "open," as reason to buy their products...