or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

In 2007 I started watching Apple for Mac Mini updates. It didn't happen until late 2008. Every refresh of the Mini has been disappointing. When the form factor change happened it was interesting but the chips were still only coming up to match what other manufacturers already had out for many months. If history repeats it will be the same way again. Though it is time for the Thumderbolt 2 connector to make its debut in the Mini. Will they put a quad-core chip in the base...
So Apple finally decided to get around to fixing a problem that is over three years old? I wouldn't consider that great customer support.
Does this mean that the building is being manufactured in Germany and assembled in the USA? How sad that Apple couldn't get the whole thing built in the USA. They're treating the thing like a Mac Pro computer. The parts are coming from outside the country and being assembled here.
GNU/Linux systems are getting so easy to use that Dell, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS, and maybe even HP will start promoting Ubuntu as a full function OS. Right now Ubuntu has just as many great features and even more software than are available for OS X. It might not be the well known software but it functions just fine. When I owned a Windoz machine I used Open Office for my word processor not Microsux Office. Any of you who use Ubuntu will have seen that Yosemite has borrowed...
Apple is notorious for removing threads. Two threads I started were removed. The first one was about their lack of updating the Mac Mini. Someone brought up Hackintosh. I mentioned that there were people doing it with the then new Dell 101 netbooks. That is all that I wrote and the thread was deleted. Nobody on the thread was promoting doing it or saying they did it. Just the mention that some people were doing it caused the tread to be deleted.  The next one was about...
The easiest and most capable machines for this school system will be Chromebooks. Google handles all of the updates. They have a powerwash function that can reset them to factory settings in just seconds. They have keyboards. There are touch screen versions available. Data can be stored in the cloud instead of on the devices. They cost much less than iPads plus keyboards. A couple of Chromebook manufacturers are making specialized education models that are built with...
This is just more proof that Apple is a tablet and phone company not a computer company. In time when all of the big software vendors let their programs run in browsers in the cloud, there will be no need for powerful computers. As long as the graphics chip can handle the data streaming across the internet everything will be fine. It also means that any OS will be able to function with those services. This means that OS X or any future versions of it will be obsolete for...
The networks are just trying to squeeze more money out of something that they really have no business doing. Why? Aereo rebroadcasts the advertisements along with the programs. Aereo was doing the networks a favor by increasing the reach of their advertisers. They were helping the networks to earn more money. With Aereo shut down millions of ads won't be seen.   Netflix and Hulu are creating their own content that is not broadcast. This is a big trend that will grow....
Apple is not holding these festivals to lose money. They are calculated to earn them plenty of money and you can bet it does.   These musicians are providing value to Apple and helping Apple to earn that money. If they have contracts that guarantee them a certain income due to music sales above their usual sales before the concert, then that might be a good deal for each performer. If not then the bands are being conned into gambling with their actual value.   When I...
It is true that an i5 dual core 1.4 GHz chip is better than a 1.4 GHz dual core Celeron. Exactly how are people using 1.4 GHz i5 machines? Do video editors choose the 1.4 GHz models? Do audio producers want these all in one dual core machines? If so then Apple is making something worthwhile to such people.    If the people who buy the low end iMac are just using it for e-mail, surfing the web, shopping, making video calls, watching movies, and doing basic office work,...