or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

Chromebooks are a success for Intel. This category is really taking off, doubling every year. For now it is good for them but Acer, the Chromebook King, now offers more models with Nvidia chips than Intel chips as of this year. The Intel Haswell chips are the faster. The Baytrail chips are clocked faster but run slower due to power saving being the primary requirement.   Even in the low price computer market Intel had better get its act together or it will lose this...
In 2009 I bought an HP machine running Vista as a spare and to use web sites that only accepted Internet Exploder input. Believe it or not, back then some corporate sites only worked well with it. It is probably still true today. Corporations don't update things unless they are broken. Of course people using other browsers and different operating systems might just consider IE broken by default. Since Vista I have sworn off using Microsux Windoz or buying any of their...
I got a new touchscreen computer yesterday. I will not be putting my data on it until I know I like it and have figured out all of the little idiosyncracies of it. Maybe the news people didn't have a lot of time to become familiar with the Surface tablets and used their familiar iPads. I played with Windoz 8 two times and each time found the navigation to be clunky and annoying. It must take time for somebody to learn to get around on one of those Surface tablets.    I...
When I got my first Mac and got accustomed to the OS X software I loved it. I became zealous in telling others about how great Apple was. I was happy knowing I had a great machine and that Apple was the best. That changed. When my Mac Book battery expanded just as the 2007 Sony batteries did in Mac Books, Apple refused to accept it as defective even though they had recalled the identical batteries the year before. Mine had the same part number. Apple's luster faded. Only...
Was it EXT 2?
Was it an obscure file system? Which one? Your limitation and failure was probably within VB and not within Ubuntu. Try again with a native installation. Ubuntu opens all of the ones I've used. Even Butter FS and ZFS are useable in GNU/Linux. 
When was the last time you installed Ubuntu and used it? Ubuntu is super easy and full of features most people can use with no specialized training. I find it more intuitive than OS X.  I'm not talking about being disappointed by the software. I'm talking about being disappointed by the hardware from Apple. If you don't like their hardware then switch manufacturers and load software that can do the job, or build your own machine. If you must run software that isn't...
Many people seem to be disappointed. This is par for the course with the Mac Mini since 2008. How many disappointments will you take before switching away from OS X? I don't expect anybody to go back to Windoz.   What about GNU/Linux or BSD? You can get an OS free and only load the programs you want; or you can choose a full featured version that come full of all of the types of programs you might need installed. Having to hunt for drivers is rare these days if you get...
The differences between the electric car and the tank are gigantic compared to a Celeron and an i5, especially for somebody just doing office work. Who needs an i5 to do office work and watch videos streamed via the internet?  The bus speeds are now so quick on the low end chips that HD videos look great. Numerous reports from C720 users say they can have ten tabs open before even noticing a slowdown in performance if at all. Many people say they can stream two video...
I should have added that I would install Linux as a dual boot with Chrome OS. One button switching is possible with Chrome OS.  Apple really doesn't have an entry level model. They have an entry level into Apple but not into computing. Their Minis have always been priced high for what they give buyers. There are too many alternatives out there now for Apple to expect the Mini to bring in new business. Probably the people buying Minis are already Apple users who want a...