or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

Ouote:Originally Posted by runbuh"Don't forget the business side of the equation: What business wants to support an OS X device when the device can't access the systems that the business uses?  Cisco support for VoIP clients on OS X?  No feature parity with Windows.  Cisco/Juniper VPN support (especially client inspection)?  Sucks.  802.1X/NAC for OS X?  Always an also ran to Windows (try doing machine and user auth with certificates in OS X).  The ability to remotely...
It would be best for Apple if they didn't make a TV and just sold their Apple TV boxes with all of the whizbang programming features the analysts are expecting with the full TV set. With that everybody could buy one to attach to any TV they owned. It would be much cheaper than a full system. It would also mean fewer problems with manufacturers and supply chain issues. Unless Apple is willing to supply numerous sizes of its TV sets they'll miss sales.   I would be willing...
Profits are what drive everything in business. With fewer desktop sales each year there might be an interesting change in the computer business. Intel and AMD might stop their investment in making better desktop chips. They could shift their focus to mobile chips. With that done the existing fast desktop chips might not get updated at all. I believe such a time is coming.
I wonder how much Apple really wants the home computer market. If they wanted more revenue from home computers they would bring back the Mac vs. PC ads. The Windows 8 OS is so annoying I'm sure writers could come up with thirty reasons the Mac is better than Windows 8. It would be fun too.   The new Mac Pro looks great. What could they do with a less powerful home desktop unit that is much more powerful than a Mac Mini? Top of the line i7 chips and tons of ports...
Ubuntu does work on the Surface Pro with a lot of work and not perfectly. The RT is locked up. I've searched for examples of successful Android or Ubuntu installations and can't find any.
Microsucks could sell all of their Surface tablets at these lower prices if they would announce that they removed the UEFI that locks in Windows and would allow other OSs to operate on their hardware. I would buy an RT and do that but it is impossible.
So life goes on.   It is usually a good thing to get off of a sinking ship before it goes under.   The thing is that Microsoft really can't go much lower. It can lose market share, stock value, and such but its products are at rock bottom. All that can be done is to go up from there.   Before Vista came out Microsoft was developing and demonstrating some in home theater products and integrated home controls that worked via special entertainment boxes and ones...
I have never typed more than 45 words per minute. There are two finger typists out there who seem to really type fast. They don't even need to keep their eyes on the keyboard. I doubt they will be anywhere near as fast as a good touch typist but they really get the job done. This Belkin small keyboard would probably work for such people. I learned touch typing in high school. It is a great skill, but I wish I could do two Finger typing as fast as a friend of mine. Such a...
  Sure Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak put together a company to go after business markets. They succeeded. Eventually they built some great products that they believed people would want. Those were new products with new ideas. Some of them sold well. Others sold but not as well as they had hoped. Instead of making the products better and letting people know about them, the products were dropped.   We can see that the Mini is sort of the step child of the desktop computer...
This history lesson makes it very clear that Steve Jobs and Apple go where the money is and will drop a great product if it isn't earning as much as they want it to earn. It's not about making great products and furthering technology. It's about going for the money and the technology is secondary. This means that the 17" Mac Book Pro might not come back. The iMacs, Mini, and even the Mac Pro are doomed. Somewhere in Tim Cooks mind is a cutoff point where he will say that...