or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

What do you mean by while product categories? If you mean whole product categories then I would say many companies do that. I'm definitely not trolling. I think Apple was last innovative with the introduction of the iPhone. The iPad was already in development when the iPhone came out. Remember that Steve Jobs said that they had to invent the iPhone in order to get to the level of the iPad which was the thing he wanted to create in the first place. I think Apple peaked in...
Apple isn't really innovating these days. They bought Siri. They got Thunderbold from Intel. They buy software companies to integrate their products into Apple products. I guess they innovated with the quieter laptop fans and the sapphire phone screens.   It seems the Macs are becoming entertainment devices with the app stores and games. I'm awaiting something new and different from Apple. I've given up on their computer products. I don't need a smart TV that can be...
If Apple is smart about its marketing it would be sure to have people reading the big public forums that focus on their products. Doing so would give them direct insight into what people think about the products made, the bugs that happen, the features people want, and the way people feel about the company and what it could be doing. Apple isn't Satan. Apple is putting profits before the welfare of American citizens and its economy.   Since there isn't any way to know...
So do we believe that those 90,000 workers they want to hire already have manufacturing skills making electronics? I don't. Imagine if Apple were manufacturing products here. They would create a huge boost to the economy. If Apple charged $10 more per phone or kept $10 less per phone sold it could pay an American worker a really good salary or hourly wage. How many phones per hour does someone working in phone assembly touch? If each person only touches ten phones per...
You're so full of yourself aren't you. If you want to know about what other manufacturers are doing then visit their sites. I have, and 17" machines are commonplace now. Visit Wal-Mart or Target and see how many 17" machines are on display. A long time ago such a display was a rare thing only used on the high end laptops. It isn't that way now.   I can recall three years where Apple didn't upgrade the chips in their laptops as soon as the new ones were available. They...
Buy a Bonobo Extreme 17.3" from System 76 and you'll blow away a Mac Book pro of any size. This machine is a desktop replacement. The users can swap components if they ever want to and it can be customized to the max directly from the factory. Some features: eSATA, USB 3, fourth generation i7 chips, 2 discrete graphics cards, SSDs and HDDs or both, card reader, CD/DVD drive, multicolored back-lit keyboard, and matte screens. This is an American company building computers...
I can't fault Apple for putting their money into resources that produce the greatest profit. They are a business. It is just disappointing to see a company that makes above average products not continue to make a 17" or larger laptop computer. Such a machine is a desktop replacement not necessarily only used for traveling. Some people want something big yet very portable, if not for going to the office then perhaps for moving it around their home. I'm in that boat now...
I would love to have a Microsoft Surface RT because the hardware has gotten good reviews. I just wouldn't use the OS. I would put Ubnutu on it. The only problem is that I haven't found any videos where someone has done this successfully with RT or the Pro. Apparently Microsoft has locked it down. Even with the UEFI handled on the Pro it isn't possible. If anybody knows of a video of someone successfully putting a different OS onto an RT let me know here.
Even though Apple let the publishers set their own prices, the agreements they had to sign forbade publishers from selling the same product elsewhere or allowing their other outlets, such as Amazon, to sell their products for less money. That is price fixing. If Apple even hinted at prices they hoped the sellers would select, that would mean they were colluding with the others to set a price at a certain level.
It might be fun to watch Richard Stallman read this article aloud and hear his comments. He's got some good ideas and great principles with the exception of sharing. Sharing can become piracy and is wrong when it takes away money from the author or developer of something that isn't freely given away by them. I think he's nuts on that point.   Both free software and proprietary software need to exist. They can and do exist together. They both are advancing the world...