or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

It's time to bring back John Hodgman and Justin Long. They need to be there to show people how Windows 8 upgrading is causing problems. The PC could be schizophrenic and Mac could react to it trying to get it to choose a personality.   Windows integrating everything into one big software sharing pool could be a problem. If people don't like the OS then they won't want to get any of the other things related to it. It's one of those get it right or you'll lose...
A month ago I posted that I intended to get Windows 8. The price looked OK until I read more specifically that I only could get that price if I updated my Windows OS. That price wasn't for a full fresh installation. Now I won't be buying Windows 8.   Sinofsky looked very nervous at the Surface presentation. It was probably because he suspected it wasn't ready. When his IE froze he probably knew it would happen and was cursing in his mind. Did he believe that incident...
When the reviews of the Surface are out along with reviews of the iPad Mini, you can bet that the big names will make the comparisons. I'm eager to read what they say. The distribution of the reviews will be the key to the success or failure of the Surface. Sure the few Microsoft stores and retailers will push the expensive tablets, but once people hear about how well or poorly it works for the money, Microsoft will have the answer to the question "Will it sell?".
I'm using OS X 10.5.8 and already Flash isn't being updated for it, neither is iTunes. Apple and other software manufacturers are willing to leave old programs behind. Apple needs to just take the best technology and run with it.   I must keep my Leopard OS because a particular program I run wasn't updated beyond Leopard. Thus my 2008 Mac Book will be with me for a long time. For other things I'll use newer machines.   I'm certain that Android will take advantage...
If this Geekbench score doubles again it will be as fast as my 2008 Mac Book. When that happens I'll be interested in tablets more than ever. I'll buy an e-reader now but expecting work capability such as video editing will wait for a more capable tablet.  
I'm glad Browett is gone. When the British Apple users wrote about the stores he previously ran I really wondered what the hell Tim Cook was thinking. Clearly the guy was a bean counter and not about customer service.   My first computer was a Gateway from 2002. I bought it in a Gateway store. The service wasn't that great. I'm still using the speakers from that machine and they sound good. They were made by Cambridge Soundworks. The computer's 1.8 GHz Celeron was...
If we're going to complain about something regarding software, like maps and passbook, I'd still like to know why Facetime hasn't been released as an open standard yet. That was part of iOS. It's not Scott's fault but I still want to know.
I bet Scott Forstall was blindsided by this move. Why would he think he was a target when he's done so much for Apple for so long? I hope he goes to work for a company making apps for Android. Maybe he could go to Amazon and make the Kindle's into really great devices. With all of his knowledge I bet Amazon would make really great devices if they got him over there. Google would probably love to get him. Google Play could use some work too. If he integrated their system...
Oh I've heard of this concept. It is a really good idea that so far isn't working. Google's Chromebook is ahead of Apple in this regard. It's just that right now most people don't want this, at least not at the prices Google must charge for the hardware. Would Apple want to charge us less for iPad devices that connect to the web for all of our work? I don't think so. Companies want to maximize their profit per purchase. They want us to buy more expensive things. A...
All of my computers have needed a repair at one point. Parts wear out on machines that are kept more than five years. I upgrade when things break or when software must be updated with a machine that can handle it. Which means I don't upgrade often. Apple and Adobe are annoying me because Flash isn't being updated for my Leopard machine. Safari isn't being updated for Leopard. One thing that really bugs me is iTunes is still being updated for Windows XP but not for older...