or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

Whatever happened to "Think Different"? I think Apple abandoned that a long time ago regarding the iPhone, iPod, and iPads by not allowing people to download and run whatever they want on the devices for which they paid. If you can't do what you want to do with the device you bought, then you really don't own it. Do you?   Apples new catch phrase is "Think Suppression".
How does one turn off and on Flash without removing it from the system? I know it is a plug-in for Firefox. I don't see where to just turn it off and on easily. I also use Chrome when Firefox is too slow.
This is disappointing. I had hoped that they would use Motorola to stabilize Android and create a killer phone. I guess they just didn't have it in them. This could be one step closer to them abandoning Android and focusing on Chrome OS. Maybe some of those patents are really worth the price they paid for Motorola.
How many people here miss the simplicity and speed of old computers? When I say speed I mean the speed with which they could accomplish a task. A long time ago these machines could do some tasks just as fast or even faster than a machine of today. This is only because they weren't running so many processes at once. One of those old machines would choke if it had to do anything graphical related to a current web browser, but give them a publishing task or spread sheet task...
 Cloud computing is here now. Not everybody has fully embraced it yet, but most people with smart phones already use it to some degree. Flickr now gives away 1000 Gigabytes of picture storage. Google Drive gives away 15 GB. Dropbox gives away 2 GB. Ubuntu One gives away 5 GB. Box.net gives away 10 GB and there are several others. Sugar Sync offers 100 GB storage for $9.99 per month. All of these can be accessed not just from ones home computer but from all of ones mobile...
This is so f'ing stupid. Would the city prefer having another ten thousand cars coming into the city every day? Those few buses won't do as much damage as all of those cars needed to carry all of those people into and out of the city. How much more pollution would be caused by all of those cars?   Governments also promote car pooling and even finance and contribute to the purchase of vans used for it. How can they now decide that they want to charge companies for...
Initially I loved everything about Apple. The whole philosophy of "Think Different" resonated positively with me. Then when I had questions I started going to the official Apple Support Forum. I quickly learned that the company stifles dissent no matter how justified it is. They delete threads all over the place. They don't delete posts as far as I can tell but they just delete a whole useful thread if they don't like an individual post. That behavior totally goes against...
Lou Reed was a terrible singer. He couldn't sing because he couldn't hear the notes he needed to hit and make his mouth do it. What in the world could he contribute to headphone sound quality? Random noise generator or perhaps simulated tinnitus? Some of his tunes were interesting and made one think. Beyond that his music was just a mess.
Guess what? Chrome OS apps are improving all of the time. Eventually they'll do things as good as native programs. Some already do. Chrome OS is based on Linux. There are numerous free programs for the Linux kernel. There will be just as many or more for Chrome OS in time. Chrome OS is bringing us back to the time when we used a powerful mainframe with numerous terminals. Only this time we have the terminals in our homes or anywhere there is a good internet connection. The...
Movies can be made on Chrombooks using cloud editors. Files and photos can be stored in the cloud. They can be edited there too. Office productivity can be done in the cloud. This puts the needed horsepower in the cloud therefore the device in hand doesn't need to be powerful. I've been wanting to buy one for almost a month. The model I want is always out of stock because it is so popular. It has a Haswell chip and 4 GB RAM.   Read the reviews of Chromebooks. The only...