or Connect

Posts by Smallwheels

This is a rip off of Compiz in Linux. Been there done that. It's cool but requires a lot of horsepower.
My 2009 HP that came with Vista arrived with a defect in the board. I got a free replacement. I didn't have to pay for any of the shipping charges. The hardware has worked flawlessly ever since then. Vista was garbage. After the warranty period I dual booted it. Eventually Vista just stopped working and I wiped the drive and put different GNU/Linux distributions on it until I settled on just one. It is a great machine that cost under $350 with several card readers, six USB...
Unless the price is $599 or less it won't really seem like a budget machine to most people in PC land. Like I said in a different thread, the Mac Mini base model should be priced around $349 as is. Adding a keyboard, mouse, and monitor would put it around $599 in a package deal. Units with similar features from HP cost that much. They have an all in one for $529.99.   Making the cases out of stamped steel or plastic instead of blocks of aluminum would be more efficient....
Chrome OS now has features that work offline. Even so, the dual boot with a GNU/Linux OS will make it just fine for offline work. If I get the new Acer I'll be up and running for $249 plus the additional price of an SD card to increase the storage capacity to a total of 80 GB. With multiple SD cards I won't have any storage problems ever. I intend to divide the original 16 GB SSD equally between Chrome and GNU/Linux. Windows is totally out of the picture for me. YAY! What...
    Ouote:Originally Posted by runbuh"Don't forget the business side of the equation: What business wants to support an OS X device when the device can't access the systems that the business uses?  Cisco support for VoIP clients on OS X?  No feature parity with Windows.  Cisco/Juniper VPN support (especially client inspection)?  Sucks.  802.1X/NAC for OS X?  Always an also ran to Windows (try doing machine and user auth with certificates in OS X).  The ability to remotely...
It would be best for Apple if they didn't make a TV and just sold their Apple TV boxes with all of the whizbang programming features the analysts are expecting with the full TV set. With that everybody could buy one to attach to any TV they owned. It would be much cheaper than a full system. It would also mean fewer problems with manufacturers and supply chain issues. Unless Apple is willing to supply numerous sizes of its TV sets they'll miss sales.   I would be willing...
Profits are what drive everything in business. With fewer desktop sales each year there might be an interesting change in the computer business. Intel and AMD might stop their investment in making better desktop chips. They could shift their focus to mobile chips. With that done the existing fast desktop chips might not get updated at all. I believe such a time is coming.
I wonder how much Apple really wants the home computer market. If they wanted more revenue from home computers they would bring back the Mac vs. PC ads. The Windows 8 OS is so annoying I'm sure writers could come up with thirty reasons the Mac is better than Windows 8. It would be fun too.   The new Mac Pro looks great. What could they do with a less powerful home desktop unit that is much more powerful than a Mac Mini? Top of the line i7 chips and tons of ports...
Ubuntu does work on the Surface Pro with a lot of work and not perfectly. The RT is locked up. I've searched for examples of successful Android or Ubuntu installations and can't find any.
Microsucks could sell all of their Surface tablets at these lower prices if they would announce that they removed the UEFI that locks in Windows and would allow other OSs to operate on their hardware. I would buy an RT and do that but it is impossible.