or Connect

Posts by Sacto Joe

16 2/3 hours to go....
I first read of this on BBC News, and they specifically said that it was an iCloud hack. Later, when I went back to show my wife, the phrase had been changed from "iCloud" to "Cloud". That's all it takes for a nasty second-hand rumor to take root and grow into a "fact".
Or - we're not so doomed after all, which is my point.
Interesting POV. We're doomed, so why bother? Or - not. "Education" takes many forms. Most of us come to sites like this to be educated, and post comments to "educate" others. For example:I've read that there was a flaw in iCloud that was revealed at a Russian hacker convention two days ago, and that the hole was plugged by Apple today. Pretty fast work, IMHO, but it's just possible it wasn't - quite - fast enough. So maybe a bunch of hackers get together and "salt" a lot...
       And you, oh supercilious one, may wish to reread the post from daveinpublic to which SpamSandwich was responding a couple of more times to try to understand the complete context. It’s obvious that daveinpublic had the wrong idea. In trying to point out why, SpamSandwich may have over-generalized, but so did you, and he was closer to the mark in the specific instance of Apple than you were. As regards Mr. Icahn, I’d say he runs a distant second to you for...
Thanks, SS. Been posting here since '10, though rarely (500 posts or so total).
Wrong. Apple is in an unusual position. It's stock is extremely undervalued and it has a ton of cash, with more being generated by the minute. Buying back its own stock is tantamount to investing in itself. The result is to decrease the share count, which increases the potential dividend return of the remaining shares.Very, very few companies are ever in a position to pull this off.Edit: There is also the tax issue. When Apple cuts a dividend check, taxes become applicable...
Defining relative market cap is relevant to the individual shareholder as an indication of equivalency when large numbers of shares are being bought back. Saying AAPL hit "a new all-time high" without clarifying what you're talking about is disingenuous at best.That said, I agree that market cap is a worthless indicator of value. That doesn't stop people from using it to attack the stock, though - "Law of Large Numbers" and all that rot.
This isn't rocket science. Market capitalization has nothing to do with dividends. The previous high AAPL market cap was about $650 billion. Someone else posted that the stock count is now down to 5.9 billion. To hit the same market cap with 5.9 billion shares, the stock would have to be (650/5.9=) ~$110.17 share.Where dividends come in is in estimating what the stock was "worth" to an individual long term holder. Since mid-2012, Apple has issued $3.84 worth of dividends...
Market capitalization is found by multiplying total shares times share price. It very much IS "affected by how many shares are available". The shares need to be "normalized", but  that's just a matter of dividing by 7. The shares have been reduced by around 10%. That's just a fact. If the (normalized) price per share is the same, and the share count is lower, then by definition the market cap is lower.