or Connect

Posts by nht

SACD, 3-D TV, 9.1 audio, Laserdisks, HD-DVD...it's not that folks are luddites.  It's more been there, bought that, didn't pan out in the mainstream market. Is 4K going to be the next HDTV?  Maybe.  On the other hand 1080p HDTVs are decent enough and BluRay adoption still slowly increasing.  What kind of penetration will Ultra-HD have in the near future?  It's not like folks are going to be jumping up and down to dump their relatively recent HDTV purchases. And if I...
 What I am saying is the cable companies will make it as annoying as possible for 3rd party hardware since they get away with charging $5-$10 a STB rental a month.  Ask TiVO how great it is to work with these guys.  4K is great but most folks already sit too far away from their 1080p sets to make it worth that much.  Videophiles will care.  Consumers will demand it?   Maybe. "On a 50-inch 1080p HD display, most consumers can begin to distinguish individual pixels only when...
 And cable STBs are forced to fully implement HDMI 2.0 why?  They could do just do HDMI 1.4 for a long time since I doubt they're really going to do 4K anytime soon.  4K roll out will likely be kinda like HD roll out.  A channel or two and special STBs for the few folks willing to pay extra for the service.  Even with DOCSIS 3.0 it's going to stress the plant.  Even then 1.4 supports 4K at 24/30 fps.  Just not at higher frame rates.
 When I don't comment on something it typically means I don't have anything new to say about it. Have you noticed that iWork and iLife are now free?  Have you noticed that FCPX is a mere $300?  iCloud is also free.  What is in Apple's DNA is that profit comes from selling really good hardware supported by a rich and unique, but low cost, ecosystem.   And screwing up cloud services is evidently very much part of Apple's DNA.  I have a .mac email address. Besides, from my...
 The software and services that Apple creates is primarily driven to sell hardware. It strikes me as an amusing proposition to make cars in order to sell iPhones and Macs.
 People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.—Steve Jobs, Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, May 13–16, 1997 I would be surprised if Apple DNA did not still have this mindset.
 I think he was correct.  iOS 7 contains everything needed for apps on aTV.  You don't need CEC/HEC access on the first API cut since Apple will want to establish their own way of doing device control and internally add specific CEC/HEC drivers/configurations from CE manufacturers that wish to integrate. They don't want a Denon or LG app to do special Denon or LG things.  They want a unified control system and the best way to do that is to NOT provide access to the CEC and...
 At one point Jobs said he was as proud of his automated NeXT factory in California as the machines. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/02/26/73121/ Of course it only made 60 machines a day...
 The bolded part is FUD. The mini can drive the 30" ACD today.  There are always use cases that will drive any machine to it's knees. The HD4000 is not a gaming GPU. This is well known but the resolution of the 30" ACD is not an issue.   Implying that he cannot use his 30" ACD with the current Mini is FUD  Implying that even a Haswell mini with a HD4600 might not be capable of driving a 30" ACD is FUD.  It IS a given that a 4600 equipped Mini will be able to drive a 30"...