or Connect

Posts by nht

Your nuanced command of the English language is simply awe inspiring.  Lesser mortals might have thought that the phrases "The jury is out" and "It’s impossible to evaluate the long-term potential of HSA at this point" means the same thing as "it is far too early to pass judgement" but you evidently have teased out the impressive differences between those phrases.  The point here is that HSA is unproven in the way that matters: shown to provide significant real world...
 Christ, there was a desktop refresh EVERY year since 2006 (intel transition) including a redesign in 2007 (Aluminum), 2009 (Unibody) and 2012 (Unibody Slim) for the iMac, 2010 for the Mini and 2013 for the Mac Pro.  At which point did Apple "ignored the desktop product line for so long"?   In what way is a Mini poorly suited to act as a media server?  No major changes except in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013.  What huge need?  Most office machines need a few USB...
 The jury is out whether HSA (as defined by AMD) is the future or not. "It’s impossible to evaluate the long-term potential of HSA at this point; we’ve seen three feature-specific demonstrations of a capability that Intel hasn’t necessarily been able to optimize for. If these early figures are any indication, HSA can dramatically accelerate certain operations, but the amount of improvement varies a great deal from application to application. If HSA-enabled applications can...
The 2012 mini handles high MP raw just fine in aperture with max ram and ssds or raid.For cs6 some things are slower:http://barefeats.com/imac12p.htmlIf you are doing a lot of tilt/blur or liquefy filters you will be moderately unhappy but these should be decent if there is a haswell update.If you want to edit in 1440p I guess you can. I'd probably drop down to 1080p since that's my target output anyway.The pro apps test for premiere look about the same as for...
They found 450M people willing to pay money instead of using free equivalents from Google, Apple and Facebook.Perhaps $1/year isn't that much to you but for such a tiny company $450M/year is great revenue.However I would guess a large part of the appeal was it wasn't owned by FB or Google who are in the business of selling eyeballs and that unlike iMessage was cross platform.
 Why?  Because they are going to use ARM or something?  Low end servers aren't necessarily dwindling, they're moving from the IT shops and into cloud providers.  And obviously Lenovo thinks there's a market there. Brawny cores still beat wimpy cores, most of the time  Urs Hölzle Google  Slower but energy efficient “wimpy” cores only win for general workloads if their single-core speed is reasonably close to that of mid-range...
 When you find this article let me know.  There are 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes in comparison to 16+4 lanes in a Core i7.  And given that it is socket compatible with Sandy Bridge Xeons there's no way to get more lanes anyway so how the hell anyone is disappointed is beyond me. And that's 40 lanes per socket with dual QPI links between CPUs so if Apple REALLY felt like there wasn't enough PCIe lanes they'd have gone with a dual CPU configuration and 80 PCIe 3.0 lanes. And there's a...
 As long as those developers are still actively working on that software.  Or thinks compiling for just the mini, retesting and handling another SKU worth the effort. And no, Apple won't simply issue an ultimatum.  Time and time again we see that Apple is very patient with developers and provides great support for transitions.  No, it performs at the level of a 2008 computer.  And that's fine for light tasks but not for desktop use.  And none of those compare favorably...
 OSX on ARM works just fine today somewhere on Apple's campus but you still need to recompile.  And then we'll end up with fat binaries again.  And it'll be dog slow given the A7 is equivalent to a Core 2 Duo or a 2.5W Bay Trail Atom. There's zero advantage in running OSX on ARM vs Intel on the desktop.  Not even on price given the Bay Trails are supposed to go into relatively inexpensive tablets.
Disappointing but 14nm is hard and frankly with AMD not executing and providing much competition this go around intel has the ability to release conservatively as opposed to pushing the envelope. Even the ARM threat into servers and ultra books has receded somewhat.So they are pushing their mobile chips harder to see if they can't get take some mobile design wins away from ARM (windows tablets don't count in that regard).