or Connect

Posts by nht

In what way did Intel screw up the Xeon in the Mac Pro. Of course there's a server focus because it's a server chip and the vast majority of Xeons will go into servers and not workstations with far less need for extra PCIe lanes.And since when was it late? Did intel promise a launch date before?"In October of last year we reported on new Xeon E7-2800 v2, E7-4800 v2 and E7-8800 v2 CPUs, expected to launch this quarter. The processors will utilize Ivy Bridge architecture,...
Right. And destroy the only headless desktop other than the very expensive Mac Pro since it would have virtually no software and insufficient horse power to run desktop apps at a reasonable speed anyway.Even worse if you try to do something like Rosetta.
Still opposed...but it does have some marginal value in dividends and investor relations.Large acquisitions are also great at destroying value. I prefer this route over buying something like Motorolla. Or Nest.
 Remember Wanda! REVENGE!
What is fucked up is your assumption that just because something can do a task at a simple level means it can replace something that does it in a more comprehensive way in an easier fashion.This is like saying because a semi has the same horsepower engine and similar load capacity that it is a viable dump truck replacement. Sure, if you are willing to compromise on being stupid in using the right tools for the right jobs.I don't give a shit if the task is writing...
 Yes.  And if anyone bothered to read the original blog post folks would notice that Windows + WinPhones > OSX + iOS by a smidgen. That's for the holiday qtr to boot where Apple dominates. The point is that mobile is the future.  Point made even if he cheated a bit.  There should be little doubt in anyone's mind that tablets will become the dominant form of personal computing. I agree with Saarek that I wouldn't count phones.  It's not a viable primary computing...
 My WAN modem can live anywhere there's a cable RG-6 drop (MoCA) so it's possible that many folks have this near their TV.   I have my cable provided router handling 802.11G on 2.4Ghz and the AE handling 802.11N on 5.  This is better than sticking either router into mixed B/G/N mode because neither are simultaneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers. running ethernet is tough in an existing house.  If it's not prewired then you have to hope either MoCA or power line works otherwise...
 Maybe.  But folks made a lot of noise about Google's dark fiber and bid for spectrum too. If they were going to go the CDN route I'd have thought they might have bought EdgeCast.  Verizon only paid $390M.
 SACD, 3-D TV, 9.1 audio, Laserdisks, HD-DVD...it's not that folks are luddites.  It's more been there, bought that, didn't pan out in the mainstream market. Is 4K going to be the next HDTV?  Maybe.  On the other hand 1080p HDTVs are decent enough and BluRay adoption still slowly increasing.  What kind of penetration will Ultra-HD have in the near future?  It's not like folks are going to be jumping up and down to dump their relatively recent HDTV purchases. And if I...
 What I am saying is the cable companies will make it as annoying as possible for 3rd party hardware since they get away with charging $5-$10 a STB rental a month.  Ask TiVO how great it is to work with these guys.  4K is great but most folks already sit too far away from their 1080p sets to make it worth that much.  Videophiles will care.  Consumers will demand it?   Maybe. "On a 50-inch 1080p HD display, most consumers can begin to distinguish individual pixels only when...