or Connect

Posts by nht

No, internet tv is very big in china and for their overseas expats.  My wife spends the majority of her iPhone screen time watching chinese TV via internet.  That's with owning an iPad as well.  A larger screen would be good for that as well as the keyboard. iOS trumps screen size but that doesn't mean a larger screen wouldn't be a major improvement.  Especially given that she keeps her phone in her purse anyway.  A mini is still a bit large for her smallest purse but a...
 Actually, I'm looking at my old LaCie Porche designed FW drive and noticed there's only one port.  And looking on Amazon there's this one with one of each FW 400, 800 and USB 2.0. http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrain-FireWire-Portable-301924/dp/B003SO4F38/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2 So three or more.  So there's no problem now is there?  Use USB 3.0.  It's not like Macs don't come with USB. It's not a kludge but a dock and nothing works with all monitors.  The fact remains...
 I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-2-5-Inch-Military-SP500GBPHDA80S3B/dp/B0053ORUS8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top 4.5 stars after 600+ reviews means they aren't flakey for most users. 
 Given that I see USB 3.0 external drives everywhere at work where there are a lot of macs and not once seen a TB external drive I'd say your gut feeling is wrong.  For one thing a USB external drive will work on a PC as well and that's very handy. And I've never had any issue with high quality USB external drives or drive enclosures.  We've got stacks of externals and bare drives used in USB 3.0 toasters for exchanging and working with large data sets.
 First, I'm not the genius that proclaimed that no firewire device ever had one port only to have to make some shit up about "well, okay you found one so that PROVES my point".  And then having to backtrack when it is shown that you can, in fact, run a display even with a single port TB device at the end of the chain. Second, the MBA never had high speed connectivity before it got thunderbolt so whining about Apple improving the MBA is plain stupid. Third, you don't have...
 What if every time someone addresses one of your whines that you didn't just move the goal post?
 Because your statement that you can't have a display when you use these devices is clearly false.  You can.  The display does not have to be the last item in the chain nor do you need to have the Apple 27" Thunderbolt display do so.  So your bitching and whining is simply wrong. You want to use a single port TB device with your MBA and a monitor buy a $199 dock with HDMI out.  End of a non-problem.  So buy a different monitor.  This is not hard.  The CalDigit may not...
 Which part of "caldigit (and other) TB docks support HDMI 1.4 out" confuses you?  You dock your MBP into the dock.  You plug your monitor into the dock via HDMI.  You plug your TB SSD/Firewire adapter/Avid box into the dock via TB.  The thunderbolt single drive enclosure examples are just silly.  You can use USB3 SSDs and still hit 400 MB/s read speeds for $100-$200 less. http://oyendigital.com/USB-3.0-solid-state-drive.html For $309 I can get the 480GB USB 3 version vs...
Upgrade strategies:   Upgrade every year:   2009 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo GeForce 9400M $599 2010 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo GeForce 320M $699 2011 2.3 Ghz Core i5 (dual Sandy Bridge) HD3000 $599 2012 2.5 Ghz Core i5 (dual Ivy Bridge) HD4000 $599    $2496 Total   Upgrade every three years   2009 2.66 Ghz Core 2GeForce 9400M $849 2012 2.6 Ghz Core i7 (quad Ivy Bridge) HD4000 $899   $1748 Total   It's a lot more expensive unless you're selling last years model every...
No it doesn't. The cal digit (and other) TB docks support HDMI 1.4 out. Which means if you're dumb enough to buy single port TB drive bays for a single TB port Mac you can still run a display and your TB device.At a minimum you can support a 1080p monitor. It should also support a HDMI 1.3 compliant 2560x1600 monitor but my dell doesn't support HDMI at that rez without driver tweaking and I haven't bothered since I use mDP.