or Connect

Posts by nht

I would caveat that as "what succeeds will be what game buyers want".  That's actually a slightly different demographic since it removes a lot of younger games and adds quite a few parents.   As a parent I push iOS gaming hard.  My kids wanted a 3DS.  I said hell no.  Here's an iPad.  My wife looked at me like I was an idiot until I showed her the difference in game prices.  Plus the iPad is useful for other things besides gaming.   Gamers may want immersive high...
  Is there a big difference between buying a new gaming aTV for $200 every 2-3 years as opposed to $500 for a new XBox every 10?   App game developers already deal with a few generations of iOS devices and retina vs non-retina devices.  PC game devs have had low/med/high settings for nearly forever.   I think that the A5X aTV would be a decent enough performer at $99 to kick off gaming.  I think that even through Tim said he didn't want to get into the traditional console...
  Now, now...   In War, Resolution; In Defeat, Defiance; In Victory, Magnanimity
@Dean   That was perhaps too wordy and I'm sure you'll have a cogent rebuttal for the poorly written parts of my last post.   To put it more simply and clearly I do not believe that the two statements:   "I don't see how other birds [are] in the car"   and   "I don't see any other birds in the car"   are the same kind of statements despite both starting with the phrase "I do not see".  The latter is expressing a great degree of certainty.
  Max OSX is not a microkernel. OSX is an operating system that includes the Xnu hybrid microkernel that contains mach and bits of the FreeBSD kernel for the required Unix syscalls and process models.   You forgot the entire BSD userland.   A proprietary GUI is as much part of Unix as any other.  CDE was the standard desktop for mainline Unix for years and was proprietary.  Motif was the proprietary GUI toolkit CDE was built on (eventually open sourced).  Ever heard of...
  If it were the case his position was one of disbelief or one accepting alternate possibilities then the response "Oh, that seems reasonable. I hadn't thought of that" would be expected.  That was not the response provided.   You make a good point.  However, I disagree that "I don't see how you can arrive at any different conclusion" is the same as "I don't see any other conclusion".  The latter is expressing a far greater degree of certainty.  There is no how in the...
  I've never owned an AR but I have plinked with one.  It's damn fun and I'm 99% sure I was shooting faster than 1 round every 5 seconds and the owner was not yelling at me for "cooking" his barrel*.  All I really remember is an empty magazine and big shit eating grin on my face after emptying said magazine despite the craptastic shooting.     I dunno, maybe it took more than a minute but I doubt it.  I wasn't exactly going for accuracy and I doubt that giggling counts as...
  Dude...you clearly wrote "I don't see any other conclusion than they are now using a smaller process node to double the NAND density".     Who's angry?  The one calling people names or the one laughing at the person calling people names?  I don't mind but you sure talk tough on the internet buddy.   I quoted you exactly every single time.  I disagree there's a significant difference between "conclusion" and "explanation" in the context of what you wrote but that's...
  Both the CPU (3.7 vs 3.2 Ghz) and GPU (1.3 Ghz vs 1.1 Ghz) run a bit faster.   In the previous models (2.9 Ghz i7 vs 2.5 Ghz i5) the CPU was around 13-14% faster and the GPU around 9-13% faster.   Of the two the GPU being around 10% faster is probably more important.   I dunno...I don't feel that 8GB RAM is sufficiently future proof so I'd either go for the 15" MBPr with 16GB RAM or buy the cheapest 13" MBPr model possible and get the $1,499 base model unless I had to...
  It strikes me that higher yields on the retina panels and lower component costs are more likely than Apple willing to take an unnecessary margin and ASP hit on their top laptop lines.  There's no indication that they aren't selling as well as Apple might have hoped.       LOL...only lose a $1B.       I do not believe that Apple MBP customers are that price sensitive.  I would think that if they were willing to take a new $1B/qtr hit they would MOST likely do so on the...