or Connect

Posts by nht

There are guys running Crysis 3 beta on 2011 iMacs.     So run Crysis 3?  Absolutely.   The current mid grade 27" iMac ($1999+) with the GTX 675MX meets or exceeds the recommended specs.   The statement that the mac pro is the only mac that can meet recommended specs for Crysis 3 is wrong.   The top end 27" iMac ($2400+) mostly meets the high end recommended specs.  The GTX 680MX is an underclocked GTX 680 so with the 3.4 Ghz quad i7 it's pretty close.    Run with all...
  The XBox 360 was launched on May 2005.  It's Feb 2013.  The launch announcement is expected in June.  That's 8 years.  I was saying 10 to be nice.  $500 every 7-8 years is more money during the console lifecycle.   Did I bump the price up?  Sure.  A BT controller, more RAM, more flash, etc and $199 seems reasonable.  Maybe $149.       $99 every year vs $500 every 5 years is the same cost.     My iPad 1 had a 2-3 year useful life gaming not 1.  Heck, IB2 runs on the iPad...
    My impression was they were supply constrained with the MBPr as well for period.     My assumption is that they have done just this relative to their supply constraints and costs.   My recollection was that MBPrs were priced higher than the regular MBPs price points and are drifting back toward the price points that Apple has set.       I'm just saying that if Apple is willing to take a potential $1B hit then I would think that strategically doing so with the iPad...
  When I said "a great deal of certainty" I was using your phrasing as I don't believe there's ambiguity in the statements "I see no other birds in the car" or "I see no other conclusions".   As I quoted, while SolX usually has something to say concerning the subject of an article, by his own admission he often simply skims the article as opposed to reading it...I would say that greatly degrades the value of his contributions leading to some silly questions and dubious...
  I would caveat that as "what succeeds will be what game buyers want".  That's actually a slightly different demographic since it removes a lot of younger games and adds quite a few parents.   As a parent I push iOS gaming hard.  My kids wanted a 3DS.  I said hell no.  Here's an iPad.  My wife looked at me like I was an idiot until I showed her the difference in game prices.  Plus the iPad is useful for other things besides gaming.   Gamers may want immersive high...
  Is there a big difference between buying a new gaming aTV for $200 every 2-3 years as opposed to $500 for a new XBox every 10?   App game developers already deal with a few generations of iOS devices and retina vs non-retina devices.  PC game devs have had low/med/high settings for nearly forever.   I think that the A5X aTV would be a decent enough performer at $99 to kick off gaming.  I think that even through Tim said he didn't want to get into the traditional console...
  Now, now...   In War, Resolution; In Defeat, Defiance; In Victory, Magnanimity
@Dean   That was perhaps too wordy and I'm sure you'll have a cogent rebuttal for the poorly written parts of my last post.   To put it more simply and clearly I do not believe that the two statements:   "I don't see how other birds [are] in the car"   and   "I don't see any other birds in the car"   are the same kind of statements despite both starting with the phrase "I do not see".  The latter is expressing a great degree of certainty.
  Max OSX is not a microkernel. OSX is an operating system that includes the Xnu hybrid microkernel that contains mach and bits of the FreeBSD kernel for the required Unix syscalls and process models.   You forgot the entire BSD userland.   A proprietary GUI is as much part of Unix as any other.  CDE was the standard desktop for mainline Unix for years and was proprietary.  Motif was the proprietary GUI toolkit CDE was built on (eventually open sourced).  Ever heard of...
  If it were the case his position was one of disbelief or one accepting alternate possibilities then the response "Oh, that seems reasonable. I hadn't thought of that" would be expected.  That was not the response provided.   You make a good point.  However, I disagree that "I don't see how you can arrive at any different conclusion" is the same as "I don't see any other conclusion".  The latter is expressing a far greater degree of certainty.  There is no how in the...