or Connect

Posts by nht

Apple invested millions into the AIM alliance and the PowerPC as well.   Want to bet that there isn't a Medfield reference design phone running iOS somewhere in Cupertino?   The A6/A6X is pretty cool and if Apple goes the IDM route then moving to Intel is far less likely. If they don't then it's not such a big deal.
  It's more likely than putting ARM in Macs.
  You mean that all in one laptop with the external power brick, cables, etc you need when traveling?     Given that I've never seen a classified MBP the odds are you're not going to be able to use that internal DVD burner for file transfer anymore either so that's a moot point.       You can replace the SSD stick inside the MBPr with 3rd party sticks.  The RAM is a shame but mostly from the perspective that you can't spec 32GB.  The price is high and that's annoying but...
There's been a lot of talk of the Macs going ARM but I'm going argue the opposite:  the iPad moves to x86.  With 22nm Atom next year and 14nm Atoms by 2014 I can see Intel winning the performance per watt battle over time between process node advantages and overall improvement in their designs.   If that happens...and Intel gets into the Tick/Tock pattern for mobile then ARM might end up on the wrong end of the power performance curve by 2016.    Apple can move...
  He says this:   "Intel is using the billions it spends on proprietary processing technology to wage a 'die shrink' war.   What it lacks in low power system on chip design expertise, it makes up for in being able to make smaller chips that those who rely on foundries such as Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM) and United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC)."   And then doesn't realize that Medfield is 32nm while many 2012 Cortex A9s it competes with are 28nm as are the Cortex...
  We do.  Inside 14U Pelican cases.  Heavy bastards when you have to move them by hand but one survived a helicopter crash...okay, "hard landing".  Fortunately no injuries to the crew and the servers DID boot but we deadlined them anyway.  The case itself was pretty deformed so it appeared to absorb most of the impact which is the intended design.
  That's called a Mac Mini. Intel Core i7-3720QM 2600 MHz (4 cores) = 11595 Geekbench score.   In comparison the 2012 Mac Pro Intel Xeon X5675 3070 MHz (12 cores) at the top of the heap is only 22271.   If Marvin's fantasy was the future then you can just connect 2 of them together via TB and his "vision" is met.  No need to castrate the Mac Pro at all and remove all the slots that actually makes it the most versatile Mac available.   F**k performance per dollar....
  Wow...nothing you wrote has anything to do with whether or not Apple should become an IDM.   In any case, it wasn't JUST the Pentium 4, it was also the Itanium and loss of face when AMD's x86-64 was adopted over Intel's IA-64.   As far as intel not getting mobile chips I think you're simply deluded. Intel is working hard on power efficiency since it applies to both mobile and the data center...which is something that ARM is also eyeing and of course AMD announced 64 bit...
Can you please take this crap to Political Outsider.
    There was a period where the Pentium 4 sucked and the Athlon was supreme.  They were pretty much selling every CPU they could make and it was thought that Intel was on the wane.     Then came the Core 2/Core 2 Duo.   Bad if your demand craters right after you spent a lot of money investing in fabs yes.  In any case GF is the #2 pure play foundry today.       It's an equally big risk if they are unable to make sufficient iPhones and iPads because their desired foundry...