or Connect

Posts by nht

You know I still have no idea why you are arguing with me.  To use a car analogy this is no different than car companies forcing you to buy a higher end model (aka UPSELL) in order to get whatever option it was that you really wanted.  That you have to pay for the overpriced NAV package for $700 (for which a $500 iPad Mini is better) that you didn't want and upgrade to a higher trim level to get the back up camera that you DID want is part of how they make...
    I explained the upsell scenario twice now.  That you refuse to acknowledge that the mid-tier 21" iMacs are poor values in comparison with the rest of the line up is not my problem.  I can't help willful ignorance.   If the 27" iMac is actually "too big for your needs' then sure, pay almost as much for less capability since the situation warrants it.  For most folks bigger is better.  In any case $1799 vs $1299 is $500 not $600 and $1849 (27" iMac + $50 8GB RAM...
  What?  Just because I'm an avid fan of Apple doesn't mean I'm blind to how they price and position product to maximize my dollars spent.  I'm also not going to whine when iFixIt gives an accurate assessment of user repairability and upgradeability.  The trend is toward none.       Yes.  Whether you personally like 21" better than 27" is immaterial.  The GPU is better in the 27" (660M vs 650M).  The maximum supported RAM is higher (32GB vs 16GB).  The ability to install...
  Nope.  Not saying that.  I'm saying that Apple's product lineup is deliberately designed to make you either spend $$$ upgrading via BTO or spend $$$ upselling to the 27".  Either way they make more money.  Some small fraction of folks will buy the lowest end iMac or mini.  Most will get upsold.  Apple doesn't care if they upsell you to a $2000 21.5" iMac or a $2100 27" iMac.   You seem to have a problem with Apple's ability to make high margins with a high ASP and...
  It's a conspiracy theory to assert that Apple is tops in product strategy and has what is probably the industry's most finely tuned product line up?   Not one single machine from the lowest iPod to the Mac Pro is not carefully positioned against each other to maximize ASP and margins.       The base 21.5" iMac is deliberately configured to upsell by eliminating all BTO options except for a memory upgrade.  Even there, because you can't easily upgrade the RAM later, that...
That's special. Someone who asserts that the design of the 21" iMac is "an afterthought" calling others "out of touch with reality". The design of the 21" iMac was deliberately positioned to have no user modifiable parts to help upsell the 27" with a higher ASP and higher profit. That wasn't an afterthought nor is it an artifact of the design language. You can argue that it won't hurt sales much and that's somewhat true given that the majority of sales are laptops...
  While there are many games that don't use the WiiU display area effectively you can see that when done well it provides for better game play options.     Apple has the advantage in that there are many iOS devices in the household that it can leverage for the same thing.  In any case, by keeping the brains of the living room on the iOS device that Apple wants you to buy every 2 years anyway addresses the criticism that any Apple branded TV becomes obsolete at the same...
  Eh, it's not either or.  Apple COULD have designed to be as expandable as before, they simply choose not to on the two components it was easy for most users to upgrade.   In any case the BTO options are also lacking given you can't get a 256GB SSD option.  That 128GB SSD +5200 RPM HDD drive is going to be both pokey and small in a few years.
  On a scale of 1-10 of technical difficulty what you describe is a 2 in the old 21" iMac.  It consists of:   0) Go to crucial web site on your iMac and run their scanner to let it pick the right RAM for you. 1) Open Door held in with 3 phillips screws 2) Pull plastic tab out. 3) Pull old ram out. 4) Put new ram in. 5) Push plastic tab in. 6) Close and screw in 3 screws.   The "time saved" is very minimal.         Soldering your own mini-PCIe slot is a straw man example....
  Which is why the WiiU has a tablet for a primary controller?  You look at the TV for playing and the iOS device to see how much ammo you have or access your backpack or or choose the next play or whatever.   Hardware controls?         With Bluetooth you could use any controller to connect to the iOS device.  It just requires Apple to add BT game controller support into the core APIs.   There's no reason that the iPad 4 can't be the heart of the Apple living room gaming...