or Connect

Posts by nht

There was a rumor going around last december that Apple was in talks with Intel.  I believe those rumors as I'm sure Apple talks with everybody.   At the Q1 2012 conference call in spring, Paul Otellini made the comment   " Paul S. Otellini - Chief Executive Officer, President, Director and Member of Executive Committee   Are there opportunities out in time to take advantage of the lead that we're building in areas like foundry? Yes, perhaps, and I've said that before....
  /shrug   Yes, it's cheaper and priced against the Core i5 market but its still considered their flagship CPU.  The contention was that Intel can't scale vs AMD which is a weird assertion given the TDP and IPC advantage Intel enjoys.   Bulldozer was a disappointment and Piledriver isn't that much better.  Piledriver is what Bulldozer should have been.  The FX line USED to be top tier in terms of price and performance...not a budget part that competes against Intel's...
  22nm yields are reported to be really good and on par with 32nm yields.   Given that Intel hedged it's bet with 4 22nm fabs.   "This brings us to Intel’s unexpected revelation during their earnings call and the primary reason we're covering this: idle fabs and inventory buildups. Due to a buildup in inventory and a desire to prevent further buildup in what Intel is projecting to be a weak quarter, Intel will be taking the unusual step of letting quite a bit of fab...
    AI did not cover an important aspect from the original article:   "In addition to Sharp, Apple also buys iPad screens from LG Display Co Ltd, its biggest supplier, and Samsung Display, a flat-panel unit of Samsung Electronics. Both LG Display and Samsung Display declined to comment. A source at Samsung Display, however, said there had not been any significant change in its panel business with Apple, which has been steadily reducing panel purchases from the South...
  With LTE and VOIP it's not as clean but possible.  But yes, I agree.  If the iPad Mini had voice my wife would have dumped her iPhone since she doesn't usually have pockets and carries a purse or some kind of bag anyway.
  Scale and huge production capability is key to being able to afford to go to 10nm and less.  The expectation is only Samsung and maybe TSMC will follow to 10, 7 and 5 nms.       Intel, like Apple, enjoys a huge profitability advantage over ARM fabs given the Atom chips sell for more.   In any case, Medfield phones are middle of the pack.   "The x86 power myth is finally busted. While the X900 doesn't lead in battery life, it's competitive with the Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy...
    He means because of the 22nm process node advantage over Samsung 32nm.  If Intel were to fab the A6 and A6X for Apple you'd see a nice little power and performance bump just from that.   Plus I think that folks will stop laughing at Intel after MWC.  The Merrifields look pretty decent if the unofficial benchmarks are to be believed and the Bay Trails look like contenders in the tablet market...especially for Surface Pro tablets.
  Heh, I can't remember what year I predicted Intel chips in the iPhone/iPad but 2014/2015 14nm Intel SoCs should be pretty damned impressive.     Shame that the 22nm ValleyView (Bay Trail-T tablets) got pushed to Q1 2014.  We'll see the 22nm Merrifield smartphone SoC at MWC and that should be pretty interesting considering the Medfields weren't all that bad.   With the volumes that Apple needs moving the X86 and I think that Intel would be amenable to the same kinds of...
  Intel is working heavily on power consumption and single threaded performance, not ballooning out their cores at the cost of TDP.  The FX-8350 is a 125W TDP, has 8 cores and runs slower than the Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770K with a 77W TDP and sometimes the Core i5 EVEN in some multi-threaded benchmarks.      IBM has a good process which everyone else (except TSMC) is basing their 20nm/14nm FinFET...but on the ground today they are competing against Intel's 22nm tri-gate...
How much of apple's innovation is driven by Ives?Great design yes.New product ideas?Not as much as a lot of folks seem to think. I wonder who the visionary is and if they actually have one within the executive ranks.