or Connect

Posts by nht

Oh and remote...iPhone or iPad.   There isn't a single piece of the living room that doesn't have an app to control it somewhere in the product line.  TVs have apps for control.  AV receivers have apps for control.  Blu-Ray players have apps for control.   None of this requires Apple make a TV and if they do, it probably won't be all that special.  A nice high end TV with a nice high end price and relatively modest market footprint.  No bigger than say the Sony Bravia...
    Also the iMac design pretty much means that dangly boxes are part of the design language.  Dangly box for DVD ripping/burning.  Dangly box for any thunderbolt peripheral, etc.   I have maintained that AirPlay is the key piece to Apple's living room strategy...and of course that required an aTV at the moment.   Game console?  iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch to aTV via airplay. App store?  iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch to aTV via airplay. Content?  Everyone wants to reach the mobile...
      Easily 2006.   http://appleinsider.com/articles/06/11/02/apple_wont_sell_tvs_alongside_itv_set_top_box___analyst   Everyone from back then will also remember Rolo.
  Imagine where you connect your aTV to your cable outlet and it automagically configures itself to talk to the Time Warner backend with all your account info (except Netflix).  Access to the entire cable lineup without the hassles of cablecard, etc.   Branding/customer relationship is probably the most significant roadblock between TWC and Apple.  I dunno, I just don't see TWC under the same competitive pressures as AT&T was.  Even where they have some competition.   As...
  The last time I changed memory I swapped out apple supplied crucial ram for crucial supplied crucial ram of higher density.  Same timings, part number family (just bigger), etc.   Are you claiming some magic pixie dust version of these commodity parts?  For the 5200 RPM drive?  For the RAM?  Really?  You can buy the same RAM found in the iFixit teardown across the net.  It's the same Hynix RAM with the same timings, part number, etc.   Apple doesn't choose the best XXX...
I would argue if AMD had not gotten hammered by the Core2 they wouldn't have spun off their fabs because they would have needed all of that capacity.You do know that UMC was the #2 foundry behind TSMC before being overtaken this year by GF right?They are more than capable of volume production.I would argue that given their experience as a fabless company with IBM, Freescale and now Samsung that going the IDM route starts looking pretty good for the volumes they are talking...
Except that apple has made billion dollar capex in the past to guarantee capacity.And investing 10% of the cash hoard stuck overseas in a long term strategic move is not unreasonable.Take UMC...buy UMC with non-USA money, build fabs in Austin using UMC expertise. Essentially you got about $2b of value back into the us untaxed. AND you have the added PR bonus of US jobs creation...and chips are one of those things we can profitably manufacture in the US.
  UMC is in the process of building out their sub 28nm capabilities so I have no clue what the hell you are smoking.  Are you stating that UMC is licensing IBM's 14nm and 20nm FinFET tech only to sit on it?  The reason they are offering 10% equity stakes is because the need the capital injection to build out their capacity...although I think they are claiming they are skipping 20nm planar to jump to 14nm FinFET.  Certainly Apple can use their 28nm planar capacity and UMC...
  If Apple needs to go down this road the sooner started the better.  TI is going to cut 1700 jobs as they move away from OMAP.  If they aquihire a functioning fab management team to build a new fab in texas it could work.
  Not for the short term.  But if Apple injects a few billion and technology into a competitor and it becomes a long term headache.  For more likely for displays than CPUs.