or Connect

Posts by nht

SGI bankruptcies were due to the ability to replace an uber expensive SGI workstation with a PC and a high end GPU.
    I've used both.  You're out of your mind if you swap a DSLR for a Micro 4/3.  They definitely serve different purposes, but to choose the Micro 4/3 to replace the full frame makes me glad I'm not anyone who would make that decision.   I've used both.  You're out of your mind if you swap a MBP for a MBA.  They definitely serve different purposes, but to choose the MBA to replace the full-size makes me glad I'm not anyone who would make that decision.     I've used...
  Touchscreens on desktop computing is IMHO correctly assessed as generally suboptimal...until you go all in.     99% of the time you don't use your fingers on the vertical surface because obviously your arms will get tired.  You use it on the table surface and there, the bigger the better.   http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/10/10/benddesk-is-a-workstation-and-multitouch-computer-in-one/   This isn't their idea...this was first introduced by an Apple UI alumnus in 1992 while...
  You look the fool not because of your position but because you not just present your position but actively try to discredit people with different opinions.  It wasn't sufficient for you to simply state "I think that supporting X86 and ARM will be difficult" but you had to state "people who say otherwise don't know what they are talking about".     The fool part comes when you attempt to do justify this attack you expose your own ignorance.  For example, when you doubled...
12/14/12:   9/11/12   5/17/12         You knew what? 
  They don't work for me so I'll just take your word for it.   Typically we used "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" somewhere in our testing since it covers all the letters.  You can also hit one of the various touch typing test sites around for examples.  Evidently I type around 62 wpm...which is faster than I thought but not very fast.
1997? LOL.Complexity comes in many forms. A small simple program that uses NEON extensions will require effort. A large, complex program that only uses the SDK is insulated from the issues you describe.Can there be issues? Yes.Could they be serious? Yes.Will that be common? Unlikely given I've already told you that devs compile iOS apps against x86 every day.Most apps are written in ObjC against Apple SDKs and are completely unaware of architecture differences...
  Go for it.  Unlike some folks around here when I'm wrong I readily admit it.   However, even if you can manage to type a few words without looking I bet you can do that on the mini as well.    Edit:  I've been out of research for the last few years and not following touch research as closely.  However, here's the last thing I saw from earlier this year.  While the discussion is regarding making better keyboards if you go to 22:30 you see that with no visible keyboard...
  Folks would have paid for a more expensive iPad Mini Retina but a more expensive, heavier and bulkier iPad Mini?  Not so much I think.   I doubt Apple made the decision based on price but performance...in this case critical performance metrics included size and weight.
  Given that Alan Kay held up a Moleskine notebook as an example of what he meant and the mini is closest in size then the iPad mini applies as much, if not more (IMHO more), than the original iPad to that comment.  This should be obvious.   The match is so close as not to be an accident.  You can make an iPad Mini case out of the Moleskine notebook.   http://www.byjohnchandler.com/2012/12/12/the-worlds-niftiest-ipad-mini-case/   I'll wait for an official Moleskine case...