or Connect

Posts by nht

Did you guys just parlay one analyst report into two+ articles about the same thing?
  The thing about Apple and inside sources is that being consistently accurate is probably a good way of getting your source fired.  :)
Well, he might be right but I see that the Mac Pro is missing from his schedule...   Not sure I agree that the non retina pros go away.  Nice to see the mac mini on the list for a refresh and that he expect a retina iPad mini   We'll see how his record looks at the end of this year.
  Mmm...the iPhone 4S is $450.   The iPhone 4 for $350?  Eh...I think that's still a bit high for the Chinese and Indian markets but it's a viable pre-pay price for the US and the EU.   I guess if you don't care about the emerging markets at all that would work.   Perhaps a 3GS with A5 for $299 non-retina would work in those markets.  The A4 is a little pokey for iOS 6.   Edit:  I had added $100 to everything for some reason.  I wonder if the virgin-mobile prices are...
    LOL...classic.     YOU HAVEN'T DONE AN ANALYSIS SO YOU ARE WRONG!   YOU CAN'T DO AN ANALYSIS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST SO YOU ARE WRONG!   And you wonder why I don't believe you are arguing in good faith.     Yes, I'm using iSuppli BOM because it give you a rough estimate of component costs relative to other devices.  What else can you use for a cost analysis?   The iPhone Nano is conjectured to be a slightly larger 8GB iPod Nano with a 3G radio for $199.  I did a...
  An app store is possible but neither the current Nano nor the aTV support apps.  It is also a point of differentiation to segment the two products to reduce cannibalization.  Kinda like not providing a GPU option in the Mac Mini.   The advantage of no general app store comes in having very tailored apps that run VERY well on the limited Nano class CPU as opposed to a bunch of apps that run poorly.  That is the problem with $200 Android smartphones. 
    Nope.     High volume low cost high profit are all vague.   A $199 iPhone Nano that makes more profit than the iPod Touch is what in your scale?  Given that the 6th gen iPod Nano BOM was in the $43 range.  Lets double it to $80 and that still less than the estimated BOM for the 4th gen iPod Touch.  Given the much smaller touch screen, the vastly cheaper CPU, 3G vs LTE radio and so forth around an $80 isn't an unreasonable expectation.   Is the iPod Touch low profit in...
    There are feature phones the MSRP from $200 to $280.  They get discounted pretty fast and start subsidized down to the $80 level on contract.   Go look on Verizon, pick "basic phones" and then switch to "month to month" and you'll see several phones shoot up to $200+.  Samsung and LG have a couple that MSRP above $200.       The audience that likes the Apple ecosystem (iMessage, iTunes, etc) but don't want to pay $50 a month for a data plan.   As for Siri:   "If you...
  Strawman.  I never asked it should be taken as canon.       Been there, done that but this still isn't a "case".  Just a more wordy opinion.       By definition it does: "a positive statement or declaration, often without support or reason"   Simply stating that there is a market for quality feature phones isn't an argument.  It is a premise that he hopes you accept.         Exactly.  Neither does shouting or endlessly saying the same thing over and...
  iPods in general are in decline.  That includes the touches.  In any case, his statement remains true.       Restating your position is not a rebuttal.  You can say this about every market that Apple has ever entered:     So why should Apple enter the MP3 market?  Why?  They specifically didn't, and that was for a reason. So why should Apple enter the video iPod market?  Why?  They specifically didn't, and that was for a reason.   So why should Apple enter the phone...