or Connect

Posts by nht

And there are over $100 billion reasons they can.     The market cap of several of the pure-play foundries are in the single digit billion range.  For example UMC is only $4.7B and is sometimes the rumored takeover target of Qualcomm.  Of course they NEED about another $8B (if I recall correctly) in CAPEX to get to the 20nm process.  TowerJazz is only 181M if all apple wants is to acqui-hire a company that is already in the foundry business (although not in the CPU one...
I dunno why this analyst is so clueless.  UMC also has 28nm, 20nm and 14nm fab plans AND needs capital to the point they are willing to sell 10% interest in exchange for guaranteed capacity.  UMV licensed IBM's 14nm FinFET just like GlobalFoundries and Samsung.   The kicker is whether Qualcomm has already locked up all the near term UMC capacity.     No shit 2014 for 20nm.  However, it is possible that these fabs can start producing for Apple on 28nm in 2013...
LOL...if Apple was only a computer company today it would join the ranks of DEC and SGI and be part of history...not making history with brilliant new computing products for the rest of us. Not arcane VMS and unix machines for the tiny few grey beards longing for a command line and computing only for the elite geeks. What a laughable troll and an unimaginative one at that. Apple not in education? Is that why the computer lab at my kids school is full of iMacs? And why...
The primary future proofing element is likely RAM.  32GB max in the 27" iMac vs 16GB in the mini.   Personally I'd skip fusion.  If you're holding to the old rule of thumb where your scratch file is 100 x largest image file x number of files you like to keep open some of it will likely get stuck on the 5200 RPM HDD slowing you down.   I'd rather spend that $250 on an internal 256GB SSD and whatever you save from doing the mini vs the iMac on the $179 LaCie TB to...
  Like that tragic iPad Mini debacle.  /s
  Don't muddy the waters.  The clear definition of resolution is width (in pixels or points) x height (in pixels or points)       No.  Screen real estate is directly related to resolution and usable UI element size.  If the minimum UI size is 44 points then a simple computation for maximum amount of usable screen real estate = resolution in points/44 points.   In other words the maximum touchable UI elements you can cram on an iPad screen is 23x17.  If you want to see...
  Unless qualcomm beats them to it I expect Apple to buy a 10%+ stake in UMC to lock in 20nm fab capacity.
  IMHO the biggest loss to Samsung isn't going to be the chips they don't sell but that they used to be an Apple chip research partner.    You want a foundry that isn't going to give your secrets to a competitor.  A pure fab company vs an IDM is a safer bet...but the number of pure-play foundries with the smaller processes limits options.   I think the only options are TMSC, UMC and Global Foundries.  Both Global Foundries and UMC initially missed the boat on FinFET...
  Only got to play with one at the store since I want the LTE version.  It is freaking awesome in terms of lightness and mobility.  Tried some of the apps and websites and they all seemed to work well.   I think that I would do most of my typing in portrait mode though.
  While the iPad meets HIPPA and ePHI requirements (with the right apps), keeping access limited to Citrix is one way for IT to continue to use legacy EHR systems...   Win8 tabets may be better in this regard but they aren't lab coat pocket sized yet.   Someone has to explain to me why Epocrates gives a hoot about the pocketability of the iPad mini given it doesn't have an actual iPad version in the app store.  Yah yah, they have their iPad EHR beta thingy but who knows...