or Connect

Posts by nht

No problem, yes, Atkinson "recollects" better than Hertzfeld.     And yes, Raskin's idea was information appliance and well, named his company that.  But what I and probably you think of in terms of information appliance is not what Raskin imagined.  The Canon Cat was an information appliance that did one thing well...office work.  Much like a toaster does one thing well...toast things. Or maybe stove is a better example for the Cat.  You use it to cook...bake, fry,...
  Lol...it's all documented.  Any idiot that claims that Jobs wasn't the driving force on the Mac has...as you say...no credibility.   Look at what Jobs created after.  Look at what Raskin has created after.  Raskin was out by summer of 1981.  He was against both the 68000 and the mouse.  If Raskin's vision was of a cheap 6809 based machine with 64K of RAM with meta keys and no mouse.  It would have been the Canon Cat (1987) which is what Raskin eventually built and it...
  The numbers used to compute average price includes all android based phones.  Not just Google certified.  There's an assload of 3rd party ROMs like MIUI out there but installed by low end manufactures that aren't Google Certified that makes up the majority of android sales in China.  MIUI alone has 10M users and is smartwiz/ios like.     If I were running with an Android phone on a regular basis I'd probably load up MIUI and let the chicoms snoop my email.  The mascot...
  Yes, Raskin went first to Xerox Parc but his intention was much different than what the Mac ended up being.  Raskin lost the leadership position on the Mac and the machine followed Job's vision and not his.  Meh, as much as I like some of Raskin's concepts (I worked on ZUIs for a while) he was NOT the father of the Macintosh.  He started the project and then it became something else.   As far as Mike Scott not wanting Steve for Lisa, well so what?  The Lisa failed under...
  Steve's original vision was a computer that would change the way people used computers and never lead the Lisa team.  He took over the Macintosh team and it was a competing product.   I used the Lisa extensively at NASA as an intern developing structure charts for our segment of the science processing pipeline.  While it was nice and the UI and apps were great it was the Mac that ended up being the computer that changed the computing experience.  The Lisa was designed...
    Perhaps.  I still remember some great software on the mac in the 90s.     In any case, the installed base of iOS is measured in the hundreds of millions.  Something not true of the Mac in the 90s.  By the time iOS is at saturation it wont be low hundreds of millions but high hundreds of millions and to the most lucrative demographic segment.     Steve was always a charismatic visionary.  See the 1984 Mac keynote.  Larry is 39.  Steve was 29....
  Steve Jobs worked hard to make Apple's DNA what it is today and hand picked the leadership team.   The probability that Apple will flounder at all much less flounder badly under Cook's leadership is very slim.  Execution, not the lack of new products, was killing apple in the Sculley era (85-93).   What new products?     LaserWriter (1985) PowerBooks (1991) Newton (1993)   Under Spindler (93-96)   PowerMac w/PPC CPUs (1994) - In 1995 Apple had $1B in PowerMac...
  If proTA is Java they did some heavy skinning.  I code in Java and it doesn't have that look and I do custom UIs.  Java applications can work very well on the mac.   It's true that the Mac has fewer options than the PC but often the few that do exist tend to be geared toward a better UX.   /shrug   You can run Tradestation under Parallels or Fusion.  That you never bought a mac for such a trivial reason if you prefer the os is silly.  Personally I find Win7 just fine...
  I found this:   http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-08-02/news/33001399_1_blackberry-enterprise-encryption-keys-corporate-emails   Which was later denied by RIM.   "RIM has been fighting with the Indian government for years, and has denied that it can provide access to its enterprise email and messaging services. This is because the company itself does not possess the encryption keys for the same and these remain in the control of its corporate...
  Because it is...