or Connect

Posts by nht

Actually it's also rumored that Apple has bought into GF production.  These are all rumors until a press release happens.   There are good reasons for both Apple and Qualcomm to go the IDM route and good reasons to stay fabless, perhaps with 10-15% equity stake in a couple of the pure-play foundries.
  The thing about multi-core is that it benches better than real world performance in general.  Why?  Because parallelizing your code is hard to do right.  You can have worker threads to do whatever but most programs are still fairly linear beyond moving some time consuming tasks off the main GPU thread.  There's simply not that much trivially/embarrasingly parallelizable problems that are easily solved to move to multi-core.  Kinda like GPU computing.  I would be 99% of...
  The fact is that the USG doesn't buy enough machines in volume to make this worth while.  I sat across the table during negotiations with HP regarding the need for a key product they were discontinuing that their own reps had sold the program on.  Essentially they told the USG to go pound sand, you guys don't buy enough stuff for us to care making more of these for you even for ridiculous amounts of money and a commitment to buy our craptastic itanic servers.  They'd...
  There's no need for a Cube form factor.  There's no need to go to half length cards.  There's every reason to include full length cards for folks that need high end GPUs.   Refactoring the space after the removal of all the drives but keeping full length slots isn't as difficult as you make it out to be.       Because without slots you might as well not bother.  The number of folks that need Xeon+ECC+OSX without wanting a slots isn't that large.       Xeon Workstations...
  This was in reference to Marvin's comment: "I think the Mac Pro's area of emphasis needs to stop being expansion and start being performance per dollar."   The Promise Thunderbolt RAID is high end prosumer that can replace pro level fiber channel gear using consumer parts (Thunderbolt + SATA drives).  I think you can put SAS into them if you want.   The $1000 8 Bay Areca is slower than the Promise at 220MB/sec sustained reads and 210MB/sec sustained writes and is...
   ----- How can I buy Macs without cameras, Bluetooth, or WiFi hardware?Two Apple resellers are authorized to remove these devices from Macs before shipping them to you:- Holman's http://www.holmans.com- Intelligent Decisions http://www.intelligent.netThese modified Macs must be serviced by these resellers under Apple warranty or AppleCare. You cannot send modified Macs directly to Apple for warranty or AppleCare...
  From the perspective of volume the Mac Pro is small.  And probably why it got delayed to 2013.  That all fits together as well as why they've been so cryptic over why the Mac Pro will be super awesome to be waiting for.  Probably not some uber new design although I hope for a design refresh that allows them to fit into a rack without surgery but the fact it's made in the USA.     I would guess most Mac Pro purchases are in the US and amusingly this would give Apple an...
Regardless of whether you think I'm a crackpot to suggest an Atom powered iPad by 2016, I hope I've shown that it's hugely unlikely for Macs to move to ARM in the same timeframe.   There's no convincing power story to move the MBA to ARM.  Not with Haswell having 10W parts and Atom showing up with either parity or exceeding ARM performance per watt AND x86 compatibility in the next couple years.  The ARM in the Chromebook is a ~4-5W TDP part.
  Intel Atom has sucked until Medfield.  It simply was never a viable option for Apple.   With 2012 Medfield they have parity with A9s so they are a half step behind.  (Why do that?) With 2013 22nm (Valleyview, etc) I expect parity with A15s.  (Okay,  but the A6 is already here since Apple is slightly ahead of the pack so they are still a half step behind Apple) with 2014 14nm I expect them to be ahead of ARM on both power and performance in 2014. (Now you have a reason...
  Then a reporter asked if Intel customizes parts for its largest customers. “Yes,” Bryant said. “We want to give them a way of differentiating their machines.”   Bryant didn’t say much more, but those few words shine a light on another part of the big-time chip business that’s rarely discussed. There are cases where a large chipmaker such as Intel and AMD will provide certain customers with chips that others may not have access to. Sometimes, this merely means that when...