or Connect

Posts by nht

Scale and huge production capability is key to being able to afford to go to 10nm and less.  The expectation is only Samsung and maybe TSMC will follow to 10, 7 and 5 nms.       Intel, like Apple, enjoys a huge profitability advantage over ARM fabs given the Atom chips sell for more.   In any case, Medfield phones are middle of the pack.   "The x86 power myth is finally busted. While the X900 doesn't lead in battery life, it's competitive with the Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy...
    He means because of the 22nm process node advantage over Samsung 32nm.  If Intel were to fab the A6 and A6X for Apple you'd see a nice little power and performance bump just from that.   Plus I think that folks will stop laughing at Intel after MWC.  The Merrifields look pretty decent if the unofficial benchmarks are to be believed and the Bay Trails look like contenders in the tablet market...especially for Surface Pro tablets.
  Heh, I can't remember what year I predicted Intel chips in the iPhone/iPad but 2014/2015 14nm Intel SoCs should be pretty damned impressive.     Shame that the 22nm ValleyView (Bay Trail-T tablets) got pushed to Q1 2014.  We'll see the 22nm Merrifield smartphone SoC at MWC and that should be pretty interesting considering the Medfields weren't all that bad.   With the volumes that Apple needs moving the X86 and I think that Intel would be amenable to the same kinds of...
  Intel is working heavily on power consumption and single threaded performance, not ballooning out their cores at the cost of TDP.  The FX-8350 is a 125W TDP, has 8 cores and runs slower than the Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770K with a 77W TDP and sometimes the Core i5 EVEN in some multi-threaded benchmarks.      IBM has a good process which everyone else (except TSMC) is basing their 20nm/14nm FinFET...but on the ground today they are competing against Intel's 22nm tri-gate...
How much of apple's innovation is driven by Ives?Great design yes.New product ideas?Not as much as a lot of folks seem to think. I wonder who the visionary is and if they actually have one within the executive ranks.
  Unless the biometrics is used as part of a multi factor authentication system.   Fingerprint, voice or face recognition plus a passcode is a lot more secure than any single one.   But many folks don't like biometrics so meh but given I don't want to carry anything else to use my phone it's probably the only option if you want to go two-factor.       Nah.  The device can provide the button with it's public key to encrypt data to send to the device.
  That doesn't make the iPod Touch more viable as a product.     It's not a stretch to predict that the iPod Touch will more rapidly decline in popularity now that the iPad Mini is available.
  You prefer the Nexus be equivalent to the garage-queen Audi over the more dependable Toyota?  LOL.   Mercedes/Toyota is applicable and certainly OK.  You may like the Nexus 7 more but in terms of build quality the iPad Mini is much nicer.   What you're doing is claiming that the Toyota Avalon is in the same class as the Mercedes C Class (and Audis) because it has more horsepower and is cheaper while it still has leather seats and a wood trim.   No, not so much.  I'd...
  Clickbait.  Apple hater eyeballs generate the same income as apple fan eyeballs.
    It would be the same pixel density as on the iPhone 5.  You would get the exact same results as on the iPad 4 since the resolution would be the same.     An A6X with half the GPU cores will provide the same performance as the A5X without being that much bigger than the A6.  You can also do a process shrink on the A5X to 32nm or 28nm.   My opinion was that the A6 CPU were production constrained and reserved for the more expensive iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and that the iPad...