or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

I have to admit that I'm extremely disappointed with the latest Mac Mini offering.  I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 server version.  It's only a 2.3GHz, but it's quad-core.  I know they don't make Server anymore, but I'm not going to use this as a server.  I'm just tired of waiting for a new Mac Mini that isn't a downgrade.  Can you imagine how slow using iMovie with the new Mac Mini's will be?  All current iPhones shoot 1080p, and it's going to suck editing video on...
We've gotten through February without a Mac Mini being released.  Any thoughts on possible release dates?  The new Haswell chips were released last month.     For gaming (and other high-performance) laptops, there are five new Core i7 processors, including one dual-core version, the $346 i7-4610M. The remaining ones are all quad cores, ranging from the 2.8GHz i7-4810MQ to the 3.1GHz i7-4940MX Extreme Edition, which is priced at a whopping $1,096. The i7-4860HQ only runs...
hmm, I would have thought that too until I saw the new Mac Pro and how easy it is to get at everything.  It truly is an amazing design.  If they put that same wisdom toward the Mac Mini, things will be very good indeed.  It's the delay that's killing me.
nht, Haswell has been out since last summer if I remember correctly.  Here we are in February (more than half a year gone by) and what do we have to show for it?  Nothing.  HD4000 graphics isn't anything to be proud of.  I've played with them.  I'm not a gamer, but I have friends who are.  I've gotten to see the frame rates and they leave much to be desired.     The dinosaur I'm on now (MacPro2,1) is being put out to pasture as soon as the new Mac Minis are released.  I...
Marvin, I appreciate what you're saying, but you're missing the point.  People are expecting us to buy a computer that doesn't meet our needs.  We're paying for a screen that we don't want, a keyboard we don't want, etc.  Just take the motherboard out and give us a decent Mac.  They could have done that with the iMac motherboard (it's insanely small) but they choose to handicap headless Mac's that aren't for the rich.  I thought of just buying a top of the line MBP and...
Frank777, I stand corrected, I had always thought that Johnny Ivy was responsible for the Mac Mini because he's the one who talks about the internals during keynotes.  According to Apple's website, Dan Riccio (a man I've never even heard of) is responsible for the engineering of the Macs. It should be him who we bring out on stage and ask him to explain himself for the gutless wonder known as the Mac Mini.  He also is primarily responsible for why an XMac (though I still...
Marvin, in regard to the server option, I'm not going to debate that point because I've never once run a server, nor am I inclined to ever do so.  If that's what server folks want, let them have it.     I'm discussing headless Macs from a user perspective.  The demand for the Mini is something that Apple has to actually work at creating.  The problem is that they don't even do that.  They don't provide an appealing model that has the latest hardware inside, they don't...
Marvin, I appreciate your comments, though I see things from a different perspective.  The Engineering team handicapped the Mac Mini from the very beginning.  No rational observer of this can then say that no one is buying them even with updates.  They are grossly underpowered, not given nearly enough GPU performance, and only given bare minimum requirements in Ram and storage.  This is not the work of someone who wants a product to succeed.  The engineers at Apple need to...
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said Next-gen Broadwell chip: The company expects Broadwell -- the successor to the current Haswell used in PCs -- production to start later in the first quarter. Broadwell's release: "still second half of 2014. Squarely on target.".   http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57617372-92/intel-ceo-talks-delayed-factory-broadwell-production-start/ I'm not sure what's going on these days.  We haven't gotten much out of Apple.  I'm stuck with Lion until they...