or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

Marvin, in regard to the server option, I'm not going to debate that point because I've never once run a server, nor am I inclined to ever do so.  If that's what server folks want, let them have it.     I'm discussing headless Macs from a user perspective.  The demand for the Mini is something that Apple has to actually work at creating.  The problem is that they don't even do that.  They don't provide an appealing model that has the latest hardware inside, they don't...
Marvin, I appreciate your comments, though I see things from a different perspective.  The Engineering team handicapped the Mac Mini from the very beginning.  No rational observer of this can then say that no one is buying them even with updates.  They are grossly underpowered, not given nearly enough GPU performance, and only given bare minimum requirements in Ram and storage.  This is not the work of someone who wants a product to succeed.  The engineers at Apple need to...
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said Next-gen Broadwell chip: The company expects Broadwell -- the successor to the current Haswell used in PCs -- production to start later in the first quarter. Broadwell's release: "still second half of 2014. Squarely on target.".   http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57617372-92/intel-ceo-talks-delayed-factory-broadwell-production-start/ I'm not sure what's going on these days.  We haven't gotten much out of Apple.  I'm stuck with Lion until they...
I'm looking to buy a quad-core Mac Mini.  It seems like the logical choice given the choices.  Waiting for Broadwell would put us once again at the end of the list because there's no way they'd bring a new chip out in the Mini before the other Macs.  The current Mini can be built with 16GB memory, which is also the choice I'd make for RAM.  I'm pretty sure any of their graphics cards would do well with the Apple 30" Cinema Display, so I don't think there'd be an issue...
Tim Cook says he hasn't given up on the Mac, but that doesn't mean that he's including the Mini in that.  It seems that the only Macs they focus on are the laptops, the iMac and the new Mac Pro.  It's been so long now that I'm actually bummed out that it's being forgotten.  It's the only headless Mac that the mere mortal can afford, and it's being ignored by Apple.  They can't make money on something they refuse to update with current hardware.  
 This is personal opinion here, and highly skewed toward a user who's been with Apple since System 7.  Now that the disclaimer has been said, I do personally hold Ive accountable here because while I believe Tim Cook is an effective CEO and knows more about logistics than all the rest of us combined, I do not get a sense that he's directly involved, as Steve was, in design.  Ive, however, is the main man when it comes to engineers.  I know there are multitudes under him,...
The concern at this point centers on form factor redesign and inclusion of Haswell or Broadwell.  Considering that 2013 failed to see an update to the Mac Mini, and its form factor has not seen alteration while all other Macs have, I would hope that significant attention will be paid to the only headless Mac under $3k.     I've been waiting for quite some time.  Perhaps the Mac Mini has been relegated to the same status as the iPod, to be forgotten and dismissed by...
I'm waiting until the Haswell Mac Mini comes out to replace my aging Mac Pro.  To be honest with you, I'm hoping that there'll be a new form factor to the Mac Mini taking it closer to the shape of the new AirPort Extreme.  I used to own a G4 Cube and while most disliked them, I loved mine and used it until it died.  While it wouldn't be the same as the Cube, it would be reminiscent of it in my opinion.  We might not get a new form factor, but TB2 and Haswell are what I'm...
When Apple hired David Rice I knew it was all over.  The NSA didn't need outside help when Apple hires a man from the NSA (also a Navy Analyst) to be it's "Security Czar".  They made sure that there was no such thing as security for any of us.  I'm sure David Rice is thrilled that nothing we do with our Macs is secure, and iCloud is likely a dream come true for him.  I don't trust for a moment that he has our best interests at heart here.  
The problem I see is that Mac Mini shouldn't be in competition with iMac on any level.  They aren't the same.  iMac is an all in one, which is great if you don't already have awesome displays and see the built-in display in the iMac as pointless, and a waste of money.  The Mac Pro is a revolutionary design, with a huge price tag.  My Mac is long in the tooth and doesn't run any of the currently offered apps with the exception of iTunes.  I'm going to wait until the end of...