or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

Thanks for that. We'll see if this helps. I really do appreciate the help. Now back on topic. I would love to see 8 cores dropped into the Mac Pro. Here's a question for the uneducated. If we're no longer after the whole, "fastest GHz" thing anymore, and are instead, focused on more cores to do the work, why does Apple not take the cheapest multi core chips they can get and just put four or six physical chips on a motherboard? It seems to me that if they can put...
Marvin, I routinely "Dust-off" the inside of my MacPro. It's a habit I picked up while deployed in the Middle East. Because of your suggestion, I went the extra step and actually pulled the GPU out (it's the NVidia Quadro FX 4500) and used the air on it from every angle. Only the slightest bit of dust came out (and the card was rather hot to touch). I bought this card in particular because it got such good ratings and reviews. I never would have thought I'd have this...
I'd love to see a smaller Mac Pro. I refuse to believe they can't make the thing smaller. They've gone to great lengths to make every other thing they produce smaller, and yet the Mac Pro is still this monstrosity on my desk. If I didn't need the 8 cores for 1080 HD editing, I'd have downgraded. I've tried doing it on my brother's iMac and thanks, but no thanks. I'll keep my 8 cores. I dread the thought if the next Mac Pro still being in the same massive enclosure...
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the changes. The flap for the USB port is interesting, but getting the USB from my scanner into it is difficult. My guess is that they measured for the iPod USB chord and didn't factor in that there are thicker USB chords out there. I've never used the minidisplay port so I don't know how it works. It seems to me that there's very little they could remove from the MBA that would make it lighter. I suppose there's always...
All of the recent talk regarding AMD has me wondering if Apple will be using one of their chips (and ATI graphics) in the next MBA. We've seen the processing strategy go from GHz to being one demanding more cores to split up the work at lower power. Perhaps AMD gave Apple a glimpse at something coming up that's multicore, and doesn't limit them to the Intel chipsets. It would seem to me that they are waiting on something. iMacmatician mentioned the LV Core i7's in the...
I'm holding off on purchasing a MBA, hoping that they improve the stats a bit more. 4GB of RAM these days is a joke. Who are they kidding? I'm not even doing anything "power-user-ish" with my MacPro and I'm already using just under 4.5 GB of RAM. If they want to keep 4GB as a starting point, so be it, but allow us to drop 8GB in it. I shouldn't have to use a far more bulky laptop just to get more than a minuscule 4GB of RAM. SSD Storage is progressing, albeit at...
I've downloaded Siri for my iPhone 3Gs and I like the way it works, though I can obviously see a lot more potential than what is actually being offered. I'll continue to play with it until Apple does something with it, which could be a while if there's some major Knowledge Navigator stuff happening. One thing I'd like to see, and I'll say it here so that it's said, knowing that Apple doesn't acknowledge suggestions, is that I'd like to see an option that is extremely...
Hmurchison, I like the way you're seeing this, but I have to admit that if this thing is search-centric, it's going to be less appealing to me than if they make it more interactive. I know I'm not the normal user here because I rarely ever search for things. I do search, but it's not even something I use my computer for the majority of the time. Searching is great, and there are awesome uses for it that were demonstrated in the video of Siri. I just think they ought to...
I find this rather interesting considering that I'm one of the few people who use text to speech daily just because I'm odd enough to enjoy my computer reading the news, my emails, and even posts on this thread, to me. I suppose I watched 2010 far too many times as a kid and wanted a computer that actually could understand me and do what I ask. If Apple is able to make this work in a way that really is seamless, I'm going to be very impressed. Many of us have waited...
To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't think he texts more than ten times a month, and that's just to see if his wife needs anything from the store while he's out. He has a bare-bones plan I think. Either way, he likes it and is happy with what he can do with it. The thing he likes most is Maps, Safari, and the iPod being in one phone. He's a pro at getting lost, so that helps him. The first gen iPhone is more than enough for him, but I don't know what plan he has. ...