or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

I'm holding off on purchasing a MBA, hoping that they improve the stats a bit more. 4GB of RAM these days is a joke. Who are they kidding? I'm not even doing anything "power-user-ish" with my MacPro and I'm already using just under 4.5 GB of RAM. If they want to keep 4GB as a starting point, so be it, but allow us to drop 8GB in it. I shouldn't have to use a far more bulky laptop just to get more than a minuscule 4GB of RAM. SSD Storage is progressing, albeit at...
I've downloaded Siri for my iPhone 3Gs and I like the way it works, though I can obviously see a lot more potential than what is actually being offered. I'll continue to play with it until Apple does something with it, which could be a while if there's some major Knowledge Navigator stuff happening. One thing I'd like to see, and I'll say it here so that it's said, knowing that Apple doesn't acknowledge suggestions, is that I'd like to see an option that is extremely...
Hmurchison, I like the way you're seeing this, but I have to admit that if this thing is search-centric, it's going to be less appealing to me than if they make it more interactive. I know I'm not the normal user here because I rarely ever search for things. I do search, but it's not even something I use my computer for the majority of the time. Searching is great, and there are awesome uses for it that were demonstrated in the video of Siri. I just think they ought to...
I find this rather interesting considering that I'm one of the few people who use text to speech daily just because I'm odd enough to enjoy my computer reading the news, my emails, and even posts on this thread, to me. I suppose I watched 2010 far too many times as a kid and wanted a computer that actually could understand me and do what I ask. If Apple is able to make this work in a way that really is seamless, I'm going to be very impressed. Many of us have waited...
To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't think he texts more than ten times a month, and that's just to see if his wife needs anything from the store while he's out. He has a bare-bones plan I think. Either way, he likes it and is happy with what he can do with it. The thing he likes most is Maps, Safari, and the iPod being in one phone. He's a pro at getting lost, so that helps him. The first gen iPhone is more than enough for him, but I don't know what plan he has. ...
I used to have the first gen iPhone. I was #43 in line at the Alderwood Mall store. I waited for the 3Gs to come out and then upgraded. I handed-down my first gen iPhone to my best friend that wanted an iPhone, but didn't have the money to jump in with the 3Gs. The price was right, at free, and he transferred his line over to it. I've gotten most of my family to use Macs by doing the same thing, whether it be iBooks, Powerbooks, MBP's, iMacs, Mac Pros or iPhone. ...
Provided that a PIN number or Password is required before each use (upload or download) of the RFID Reader, I'm all for it. I just don't want the thing on all the time, and I don't want even innocent marketing billboards to be able to read my phone, much less more nefarious entities. Being able to use my phone as a credit card is awesome because the phone is a computer, and able to encrypt data. Being able to give $50 to my brother when he needs it, by tapping our phones...
Apple has been burned too many times through its alliances. Maybe this will be the time Steve decides to pull out all the stops and emerge victorious. That said, I was rather surprised to see that the new Safari didn't have an alternative search. I hope Apple comes out guns-blazing.
I have literally no proof of this, and I am quite possibly completely off base here, but the first thing that popped into my mind when reading your comment is that this sounds like a facet of a deal with Microsoft. If Apple and Microsoft worked out a deal to bring Microsoft software (Office) to the Mac, there very well could have been concessions. One of those concessions may have been the absence of ODF support in iWork. I don't know. I use iWork frequently and...
DJRumpy, I appreciate the information you've provided. I think it ultimately comes down to two things. Either Apple will provide an EFI update for those computers that have CPU's that can run in 64 bit mode, or the hacker community will find way to make it happen. There are a lot of brilliant people out there who love challenges like this, so I'm hoping this is a particular cause they feel like taking on. That said, it's preferable that Apple be serious about it's...