or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

Apple and Samsung have current contracts that will be honored through this process that guarantee that Samsung can not raise the prices of components nor impede delivery without penalty, however, when the terms of the current contracts are completed, it stands to reason that Apple will select another supplier for significant portions of chips.  While Apple may not be able to depend on another company to provide these parts exclusively, Apple does have the investment...
That may be the case, but it also means that you're letting yourself get stabbed in the back by a company without them fearing return fire.  How many times have we seen ATI and NVidia cards get dropped because of issues?  Whether it's performance issues, or them flat-out stealing your designs, it's the same thing.  If Apple can't sever ties with Samsung to punish them and prove a point, then what recourse does Apple have but to continue to bend over and take it from...
And it finally happened.  My Mac Pro is officially too old to update anymore.  No Mountain Lion for me.  Enjoy it folks.
Perhaps this is a step Apple is taking to eliminate significant unknown vulnerabilities.  If I recall correctly, Apple has hired some high-level security personnel with a focus on tightening things down.  As the iOS and Mac OS X become more popular, the target appears more interesting to those creating threats.  Keeping ahead of them is a wise choice.  It would appear likely that a hint of direction will be given during the presentation.  What is said, and what isn't...
It may be the case that CEO Tim Cook is not as interested in appeasing environmentalists as CEO Steve Jobs was.  It may also be the case that a future announcement will negate EPEAT certification.  If education and government requires this certification for purchase of computers through official channels, it stands to reason that Apple would likely not want to lose education and government purchases for a minimal gain in thinness.  Perhaps it would be prudent to email...
I extended the life of my MacPro2,1 by making the main drive a 60GB SSD from OWC, which wasn't a big deal considering that all of my data is on an external RAID. That move alone dramatically increased the performance of the 2,1. Being able to run everything but the kernel in 64-bit also prolonged the life of the machine. That said, I'm pretty sure that Mountain Lion will be the last OS upgrade this beast sees. I'm looking at the amount of cores we'll eventually be able...
I'd love to see a much smaller Mac Pro, but I haven't seen Pro GPU's get much smaller. The things are huge. So their either has to be a huge change in the way graphics are pushed to monitors, or there's going to be a design limitation based upon the huge GPU's we have these days for Pros. I'd really like to think that Jonny Ive could put together something jaw dropping, while keeping performance the priority for Pro users. I can't complain about my Mac Pro; I love the...
I've been holding onto my MacPro2,1 for longer than I'd like to have simply because I'm waiting for a smaller form factor for a Pro mac. I have my credit card patiently waiting in my wallet for the day one is released. Hopefully, my 30" Cinema Display will be supported. I just can't bring myself to use an underpowered Mac Mini.
In my defense of Web Gallery, I have contacted them. Do I actually think they listen, or care? No. We always get the, "Thanks for writing, but we're not going to bother responding" message after pressing send. They have their minds set already and the vast majority of Mac users apparently think it's great sharing photos on Facebook (a social service that I dislike more with every "improvement" they make). iCloud doesn't address the problem of sharing photos and videos...
Web Gallery is the one thing I'll really dislike losing. Having the ability to upload photos to it right from iPhoto, and movies up to it right from iMovie, was very convenient and allowed friends and family around the world to see photos and videos of mine all in one easy to use place. It's obvious that I'm in the minority when it comes to using this service, and most likely don't care about sharing photos and videos with family members and friends, but it was well...