or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

It's really sad to hear Fran441 say that there won't be a Power Book 970 this summer. That means Apple won't be getting my money this summer. The G4 is dead...it just doesn't know it yet. The 970 is the way to go...it is the future. I was really looking forward to having a PB with a 970 this summer. I'm uninterested in G4 numbers, even if they do manage to bump significantly. We're talking about going from a prop engine to a jet engine here. A huge difference. More...
os10geek - Happy Birthday. I'm not so sure that the PB will be introduced today, like I have any clue about such things, but it would be cool to have the new 970 available. I would like to see the new stuff come out, but so long that the Apple community is aware of the 970, I think Apple will have to rely on switchers from PC's to Apple to buy up the remaining stock of 15 inch TiBooks. Kinda sucks having to wait for inventory to go down before the new stuff comes...
I can understand wanting to open up a Power Mac and replace a component over the years. That makes sense. As for thinking that the G4 is acceptible in the Power Book, I think it's an under achiever given the stats of the 970. I see this transition as a major sweep away from Motorola and the older PPC designs right into the newer revamped version that IBM is giving us. I think this will take Apple into a new higher power direction and I also have a gut feeling that...
Matsu, I'm curious what you do with a Mac that requires that you need expansion options? In fact, this is open to all. Why? I happen to like the idea of a Power Book with everything already in it. I can fully understand the G4 / 970 argument (though you only asked for a cheap G4), but everyone I've heard speak about RAM in OS X says that the amount they have doesn't affect performance. So why bother with it? Sounds like a waste of cash to me. I realize that the...
OverToasty, I have one quick question for you. Considering just how much we're all lusting after the 970, just how much do you consider to be "soooo expensive"? I am of the mindset that if Apple drops the 970 into a Power Mac and Power Book, they will get sold, like candy to kids, and money won't be a factor. Are you will you pay $200 more? $300 more? Even $400 more for a CPU that leaves G4 in the dust? I realize that there are a lot of people out there that have to...
os10geek thats ALL we need...something else to lust after! lol I do have to be honest though and say that the G4 is not the chip to use for dual processors. The footprint is huge when compared to the 970, and the 970 more than doubles the Dhrystone test results of the G4. It's just the obvious route to take. Now I can already hear everyone whining about the 970 going into a Power Book before the Power Mac's. Truth is, why not both at the same time? The Power Book...
os10geek, I have to agree with you, I think most of us want that new glowing keyboard. One question to all of you though, if Apple decides to make the 15 inch Power Book with Aluminum with a 15.4 screen, the numbers show a reduced resolution from the previous model. How does this advance the 15.4 Power Book? As much as I want a new Aluminum Power Book, I have to hold on to my 600 MHz white iBook until I see a 970 in the Power Book. To me, that's the future of Apple,...
RodUK, I thank you for taking such a particular interest in my career field. I have had several opportunities in my career to work with various fire brigades from England and I have to say it was a great experience, and I'd be happy to work with them again if given the chance. But it seems that when you work in a career field like mine, you learn very quickly that you only have one time to get things right...a lesson learned by several of my close friends over the course...
I've been doing some research using PDF's from both IBM and Motorola provided on their websites. The information is staggaring. The 970 really blows the G4 away in Dhrystone tests. Rather than post the information twice, go scope out the test results I got for all of us in the other string "Is Apple Making Way For The 970?" Judging from what I've seen in the numbers, Apple would really be making a bad choice to use a G4 in their late summer Power Book. There isn't a...
Okay, I did some research on my own using PDF's provided on IBM's website and on Motorola's. Here's what I found when comparing the two chips: 970 and the MPC 7457 / MPC 7447 (low power for the Power Book). I found that IBM gave a lot more stats on it's chips than the Moto folks did. I found that the 970 1.8 GHz struts it's stuff with peak scalar GFLOPS of 7.2, SIMD GFLOPS at 14.4, and it's dimensions are 25x25mm (far smaller than the G4 - just visually confirming as...