or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

After some messing around, I've come to the preliminary conclusion that once the box is checked that new files created won't have an extension. That doesn't change any of the old files though, imported from other computers. It's a process, I guess, for someone that doesn't like file extensions. I'll deal with it. I even tried using an Automator workflow for it. No dice. At least your system doesn't have them.
Oh, I understand what you're saying there, I'm simply wondering which way they'll go with it. A4 sounds good. I'm just curious if they'll simply call the chip the A4 regardless of the changes made to it, sort of like they call a Mac Pro a Mac Pro regardless of internal revisions.
I'd already done that one. :-) It still doesn't default the system into not showing file extensions. I understand the reason for the OS needing them, I'd just rather not "see" them. As it is, I still have to go through and every time a new file is created, go and hit CMD+I and manually "hide" the file extension. It's just one of those little annoying things I wish were easy to fix. Finder Preferences ought to have a box to check that says "Never display file...
What does everyone think Apple will do regarding the naming convention currently used, A4? Will Apple keep the A4 name and just change the model numbers, or will Apple bump the number up one with each revision? For some reason, I rather like the A4 moniker. The prospect of two cores in the next version is very exciting, and hopefully the GPU will benefit from an upgrade as well (if they go to a much more pixel-dense screen).
Yes, sadly, it was a typo. I'll restate my prior position. I'll support whatever aspect ratio Apple chooses because I don't have a say in the matter anyway. If I'm going to buy an iPad it'll have to be far better than the current model is regarding video and pictures. Hopefully the chip Apple comes up with next will be the one that makes that happen. Until then, my MBP will have to do.
My 30" Apple Cinema Display is 4x3? NopeWikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Cinema_DisplayMy 30' Apple Cinema Display is 16:10. The final point being that there are people out there who would use the iPad for video and photo demonstration. If the next screen the iPad has proves capable in this regard, I'll most likely buy one and hand down my MBP.
It depends on what you use the iPad for. I shoot a lot of HD video that I like to show to family and friends from far off destinations I often times find myself in. My video camera shoots 1080i footage. I also take a DSLR along with me, shooting a Nikon D90. My photos aren't 4x3, nor is my video. For someone reading books on an iPad, I can see how it'd be awkward, though the folks in Europe are already used to that aspect ratio, given their A4 paper. I'd much rather...
It's good to read the interesting aspects of the hardware differentiation and variables associated with the OS, drivers, and the like. I'm running an "old" Mac Pro from the technology perspective, but it still does wonders for me. In the burgeoning market of the iPad it seems like there's so much competition out there. Engadget is filled with new iPad copycat designs and there are tons of phones out there that look so similar to the iPhone 4 that it's hard to determine...
Solipsism, that's kind of what concerns me though. It's one thing for Apple to focus on battery life, and entirely another thing to be behind the curve when it comes to innovation. It's great that Apple designs the A4, but it's only great if it's superior in what it offers as opposed to those with the other chips. Woe be us, the day when someone does a side by side comparison (like Apple used to do on stage, ironically) and Apple's product can't maintain the speed. ...
I just hope that Apple can design their own chips to be superior to those offered "off the shelf". It would seem to me that designing their own chips will ensure that they can keep the OS running only on Apple hardware, barring another Palm fiasco. I'm concerned about what Google is up to. Apple is a fantastic company, and I'll stick with them through thick and thin, but I have a sinking feeling that they aren't throwing everything they have at their products and...