or Connect

Posts by Brian Green

What's the hold up? Is iTunes 10 having issues even before they release it? It's 4:40 p.m. here on the west coast and they still haven't released the software. Just once, I'd love to get that software update prompt while Steve is talking about the software. It'd make sense that we be able to actually use the stuff he's talking about rather than watching it online and wondering how it'll work. I also know that the patented answer is, "Patience.", but there's got to...
Programmer, yes we have new Mac Pro's (or will have in August). I've got some more reading to do regarding the new one, and I'm really eyeballing the 12 cores. Grand Central Dispatch makes the more cores all the better for multithreaded apps, which I'm guessing we'll see more and more of as apps refresh. I have to wait for the new ones to show up on Apple's website (they still have the old ones on the Apple Store) before I can spec one out the way I want it. It will be...
Seems I'll be waiting until August to go try one of these new ones out. 12 cores isn't bad.
Programmer, you make many good points, and I agree that incremental updates for a workhorse like the Mac Pro is probably ill-advised. I pointed out in a prior post that Apple hasn't updated the Mac Pro in 18 months. That's a lifetime in the technology field. I'll have a problem with Apple releasing a Mac Pro that isn't substantially more powerful (more cores, not more GHz), with faster RAM. The USB3 and faster Firewire are great, but the much lesser machines will get...
brucep, your post does amuse me. It reminds me of my cousin, who's a LAN Admin for our local library system (he oversees over 4000 terminals). He always says the same thing. Why do you need more than a single core, at 1 GHz, with 512 MB of RAM? The problem with people like that is that they don't do a single thing with HD video footage, much less try to actually work with it in a timeframe that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out. That said, is my Mac Pro...
I hope I'm pleasantly surprised as well. You can see what I'm running in my signature. My Mac Pro can't run in 64-bit mode, and I'm living with it, even though there's a RAM hit for 32-bit. I fully expect Apple to step up their game and create the most powerful Mac Pro's ever. Just once in my life, I'd like to not get sh!t from my friends that all run faster PC's. I loathe the Windows OS, and won't ever go back, and I'm not about to buy a hackintosh because that's...
Solipsism, sure, it's their right to present us with Mac Pro's that aren't cutting edge. They've been succeeding at that for years. At least they have the common courtesy to dust off all the parts before assembling them. I simply don't have the heart to believe that the coming Mac Pro update will impress us at all. I've been let down too many times. I'll end up buying one someday, not because it inspires me, but because I'm a Mac user and I'll not use PC's...
Solipsism, it's one thing for Apple to continue to make money from Macs, and entirely another for them to routinely neglect pro users (and buyers). It's like a sad joke at this point that Jonathan Ives goes all out for other products (though he screwed everyone with the pitiful C2D chips in iMacs), and then does literally the very least he possibly can do with regard to the Mac Pro line. This IS his fault right? The finger must be pointed at him, correct? Or is there...
Marvin, I like your SD Card idea. I will admit that I very rarely use my optical drive, and it's 99% of the time for watching DVD's (because my 30" cinema display looks better than my TV). That other 1% is for upgrades. Having an SD Card option for software would be cool, and a lot easier to store. I already have an SD Card-USB adapter for my Nikon camera to import pictures with anyway, and that would work for my Mac Pro. I'm not as attached to the optical drive...
It really surprises me when people toss around this idea of getting rid of optical drives so easily. Are you serious? Perhaps you know different people than I know, but most of my friends that have laptops, ONLY have laptops. If they remove the optical drive, how will they update their OS? They sure as hell aren't all coming over to use my computer! The OS requires an optical drive. iLife requires an optical drive. iWork requires an optical drive. I'd LOVE to live...