or Connect

Posts by friedmud

Scientific and engineering multiphysics simulations that are mainly centered around energy generation (like nuclear, geothermal, wind, etc.).  You can see our software here: http://mooseframework.org There are a few movies on there at the bottom of the page that explain some of what the software can do (I'm the one doing the voice overs on the video)... and it's all free and open source so if you're interested in that sort of thing give it a try ;-)
Oh - and if you think that no one uses these things I'm currently running a simulation that is using 30GB of RAM and is destroying all 12 cores.  If they would have made a 24-core Mac Pro I definitely would have bought that.   Oh - and I have done the pricing on dual 12-core Linux workstations.  To get one similarly configured from a reputable builder (like Boxx) it's about $12k to $13k.  Now - that's not THAT far above the ~$8k I pay for the Mac Workstations... but it's...
I'm using two of the Sharp 4k monitors right now on my new 12-core Mac Pro... anyone that is complaining about them doesn't know what they're talking about.  Great color.  Great viewing angles.  4k at 60hz.  And of course: TONS OF PIXELS! I think people just don't know how to configure them.  You have to go into the menu on the monitor and turn on MultiStreamTransport (MST) to get 60hz.  As usual... people don't even read the documentation before complaining.   My...
Story is WRONG.   This is NOT Xeon E5.... E5645 is still the old Nehalem architecture!   E5's are like this: E5-4650   All that happened here was a minor speed bump....   So disappointed!
Redacted because it's thanksgiving and Realistic said it better...
Has anyone figured out the correct verbiage to use with Siri to start FaceTime with someone in your contacts at their email address? What I mean is that in my contacts my wife has two phone numbers and an email address. When I say "FaceTime Susan" it always (annoyingly) asks me "Which phone number or email address" and proceeds to list off the options. I really want it to _always_ just FaceTime her email address... Messaging her does the correct thing (sends it to...
Hmmm... Not arguing against your whole post but we _did_ "vote them in"... with our dollars (or in this case, eyeballs which amounts to the same thing)! In fact we can "vote them out" in the same way... by not giving them our eyeballs / dollars. And that's why they're not a monopoly. Because we do still have viable choices (both Bing and Yahoo work well enough that if you were upset at google you could start using those). To me, this is just big government trying to...
Gotta say that download and upload speeds on my 4S are great. Even in my small town in Idaho I am getting ~6 Mbps down and ~1.5 Mbps up on AT&T. My friend with a Verizon iPhone 4 gets about 1/10th of that here. That said... it pales in comparison to the 50 Mbps I just got at my house today!
I just don't understand this line of thinking. How are you "being screwed"? Didn't you purchase a phone for a caertain amount of money with a particular feature set at that time because you thought it represented a good value? Does your phone continue to have those features (plus more)? Why do people feel entitled to new features? Did Apple (or anyone else) sell your phone to you under the pretense that you would get a voice activated personal assistant in a year? No....
No, this is being realistic... like most people in the world. Not everyone expects technology to instantly be perfect and do everything in the world for them. Most people understand that in the real world, devices like this can be extremely useful... in spite of not being perfect. I think this is why it's so hard for people on forums like this to understand why people can be overjoyed at devices like the iPhone 4S... in spite of a few shortcomings. In the real world...