or Connect

Posts by friedmud

Guys - quit going all doomsday on this. Home sharing still works fine from macs and AppleTV. They only removed it from iOS devices. Surely many of you aren't using iPhones as media servers for your house...
The watch can connect to known wifi networks on its own NOW. When near one you can send iMessages and receive mail.... all without an iPhone. What you can't do is launch third party apps (of course) or make a phone call. Both of those will change with watchOS2...
One thing these things need to get better about is MULTIPERSON contextual awareness. I use IFTTT to turn my Hue lights on when I come home... But it doesn't take into account what my wife is up to. If I ran out to grab some donuts early in the morning then IFTTT will happily blast all the lights in my house when I return... A rather rude awakening for my wife! Skylark ( http://www.skylarkios.com ) is the best smart home app I have seen in this regard. It uses the...
Good. It was a missing feature. Hopefully it will mean that thieves learn quickly that the Watch isn't worth messing with and stealing them never even becomes an issue.
There are a number of things Inbox can do that Gmail can't.  Just a few: 1.  Snooze emails (like you mentioned)2.  Automatically "Bundle" emails.  It's like a combination of Gmail tabs and labels on steroids and completely users controllable.3.  Ability to Archive whole bundles at a time.  So I can open my "Promo" bundle and with one tap Archive all 10 semi-spam emails I've received today.  Or go into my Social bundle and clear the ~30 emails I got from Facebook because I...
Unfortunately, that's not enough.  For instance, I work on code projects where I receive a bunch of automated emails from the same address.  Only some of those (About 5%) are important enough to go to my Watch... I can do that with Inbox. VIPs are good though.  I use them _in addition_ to using Inbox... with only a few select VIPs to make sure that no matter what happens I will see their emails.
Personally, I love Inbox. One cool thing about Inbox is that it plays well with the Apple Watch. You can set it to only notify you if you get an email in certain Bundles... greatly reducing the number of email related notifications you get on the Watch. Now all we need is an Inbox Apple Watch extension so we can see bundles on the Watch. Currently, you just have to use Apple's Mail App on the Watch which doesn't do anything with bundles...
I was actually thinking about the Launcher the other day for iOS and wondering how it would be with the new launcher from the watchb(with the round icons, etc). I think it would actually be pretty cool and pretty nice to use on a bigger screen. I doubt they'll do it though... it's one thing that really makes the watch special right now.
I gotta disagree with this (so much of this stuff is subjective and personal like this). I really like how the watch and phone both give you info while you're driving.In my car my phone is on Bluetooth and is docked right by my speedometer.. so it's useful to glance at for directions. I usually like to listen to music and I love the way Apple Maps pulls the volume of the music down to give you directions.To me, the Watch just adds a little bit to this scenario. I don't...
I certainly don't hate it!  I'm talking about how I don't think it will be around forever... but that doesn't mean I don't like it! It's super smooth... and was definitely a good idea to get our fingers off the screen.  I agree that it makes the watch look better (looks more like a watch) and I actually like having something physical to manipulate.... helps to keep the watch "grounded" somehow. All that said: I still don't think it will be around forever.  The click-wheel...