or Connect

Posts by friedmud

Read the article. The new part is that you can leave Personal Hotspot _off_ on your phone but you can have your iPad/Mac tell your phone to turn on Personal Hotspot when you want (ie you don't have to manually go turn Personal Hotspot on/off any more).
 The iPhone's hotspot is _not_ broadcast when using this feature... at all. When you're not using it Personal Hotspot is off... so no broadcasting. When you are using it I just verified that no one else can see the Wifi network... it's essentially a totally private connection between my iPad and my iPhone...
 This is NOT true... and is completely against the idea here (I know... I use this feature all the time). This works when you have Personal Hotspot turned OFF... indeed you don't need to explicitly turn it on ever again. You need to make sure you are signed into the same iCloud account on both your phone and your compute/iPad... and that you have bluetooth on on both devices... and that you have Handoff turned on (Settings->General->Handoff). If you have everything set up...
 I finally gave up my unlimited plan a month ago so that I could tether.  It's been a good trade off.... but it was hard to convince myself after so many years :-)
I've been using this between my iPad and iPhone since iOS 8 came out. It's a great feature for a commuter like me... I can just pull out my wifi iPad and leave my phone in my pocket. Much handier while sitting on the bus/train...
 Scientific and engineering multiphysics simulations that are mainly centered around energy generation (like nuclear, geothermal, wind, etc.).  You can see our software here: http://mooseframework.org There are a few movies on there at the bottom of the page that explain some of what the software can do (I'm the one doing the voice overs on the video)... and it's all free and open source so if you're interested in that sort of thing give it a try ;-)
Oh - and if you think that no one uses these things I'm currently running a simulation that is using 30GB of RAM and is destroying all 12 cores.  If they would have made a 24-core Mac Pro I definitely would have bought that.   Oh - and I have done the pricing on dual 12-core Linux workstations.  To get one similarly configured from a reputable builder (like Boxx) it's about $12k to $13k.  Now - that's not THAT far above the ~$8k I pay for the Mac Workstations... but it's...
I'm using two of the Sharp 4k monitors right now on my new 12-core Mac Pro... anyone that is complaining about them doesn't know what they're talking about.  Great color.  Great viewing angles.  4k at 60hz.  And of course: TONS OF PIXELS! I think people just don't know how to configure them.  You have to go into the menu on the monitor and turn on MultiStreamTransport (MST) to get 60hz.  As usual... people don't even read the documentation before complaining.   My...
Story is WRONG.   This is NOT Xeon E5.... E5645 is still the old Nehalem architecture!   E5's are like this: E5-4650   All that happened here was a minor speed bump....   So disappointed!
Redacted because it's thanksgiving and Realistic said it better...