or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

I think replace is not the right word.   'extend' is the right one.The key gap.  Long Haul antennas.   I strongly doubt you'll get a 3-5 mile range for LTE communications with a devices that will need to get smaller (thickness) and lighter.  At least not in 10 years. The phone will supplant the laptop as the truly portable personal computer (your computer is always with you).  I would argue that the phone will 'shrink' back (retro;-) to a 3.5" fully waterproof footprint,...
I doubt it.   Given the fact that it was Samsung Semi's group that put Mobile onto the iPhone capabilities in the first place (not at a chip level but at the UI level through the tech briefings they got). You don't build custom chips for your clients very long if you're leaking your client information to one of their competitors, especially within your corporate umbrella.  The Group President of Samsung Semi is likely hammering that message  home.  They want everyone's...
it's less about monopoly vs growth.   People want to see growth, and when you're the largest company in a 'discretionary' product field, growth is unlikely (erosion from below, highly dependent on general economy, and consumer growth is unlikely, unless you price your self into lower margin products), hence the back pressure on P/E.   Face it, if you've sold a BILLION things, and the assumption is that consumer set is saturated, you now need to sell to the next billion...
well, the simple analogy is that Tim is the GM of a great athletic team.  To win big, they need a home run hitter.  When you 'sell stuff' head of retail would be your clean-up hitter... your QB, your Kobe/LeBron/MichaelJordan.   You make a hard decision based on the economics of your market [revenue, market share, mind share (I think 'Yankees' here or Manchester United)], and the economics of 'her'market [free agency so to speak]. A good leader pays for the talent that is...
++1Piling on. The 5c and mini can be seen as aggressive counters to the competition "getting under the [pricing] umbrella". Tactical (in the short term market share) but strategic in the opening of new markets and marketing methods.And the years of changing forms and factors of the iPod line is evidence that Apple will explore options to expand/hold market share.
1. It's already optional. My concern is that to make a stylus work 'well' it would have to be 'smart' and therefore a integral part of the ui that is tailored away from one input plane to a tool and inputs from that (simple use case: one end for creation, the other for erasure), and then you have two ui's. And if you have two ui's "you're doing it wrong " (see MS surface)2. I can see the need for scribbling notes and textifying during meetings(and grammar school...
your first point is wrong.  Every developer would have to recompile their apps into fat binaries, to a) avoid the emulation performance tax, and b) any app worth their snuff will likely run into 'issues' running in emulation mode [been there done that]. your second point power/performance/heat...  brings up the next point of recompilation.  a single threaded app on a quad core will perform slower on a octocore that is 1/2 the clock speed.   and an ARM chip clocked up will...
  Never say Never;-)  So... ever thought of AuthenTec /TouchID as a 'product'?  I see the next turn of the secure transaction, after Apple has sold it's 150Million watches, is to make it ubiquituous at every point of authentication (not just sale).every device in the world has a TouchID button HOWEVER, it is only sent via NFC/Bluetooth to a device very local to it. If the hash unlocks the secure enclave, magic ensues.(Phone never leaves the pocket).   Point of...
So, if anyone of us put out a research note,  you'd put a story out on it? At least 10 of use have stated the 2016-2018 timeframe for ASeries intersecting with the Intel performance curve.
Whip it. Whip it good.