or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

I would normally disagree (and I'll niggle a little... that 'users' don't need access, but prosumers do), but there has to be a hobbyist level system path.  The Mac Pro isn't that.  The mini should have more user expandability than disk drives (especially since you got 2 TB2s for that sort of expansion.   Memory is the next click, and then after that is CPU and Graphics. Sigh. The other side of me is basically thinking Apple is looking at these as computing units.   You...
  The teardown will be important.  they definitely are no touting the end-user ability to open up the base anymore.If you can replace the internal PCIe drives on the high end.  that would be a good thing (TM),   But I would argue a 256GB SSD PCIe drive internal and TB2 external drives should give you enough storage umph for colo/server work.   Thebest thing about a mini is it's Power/Thermal footprint.   TB2 RAID drives should saturate any i5 data wise. And we'll have to...
That's what 3rd parties are for. 99% of the public doesn't need a reader.  why build it into the base?
I think they are trying to get every price point a TouchID.  As long as every 8.x feature works on a Mini 3, it's a viable solution.  Once they start limiting SW features, that's when it's a sucky move. As for the 16 and 64, I think you're looking at people's use cases, and not what Apple wants to sellApple wants to sell iTunes Match, Radio, and iCloud storage.   16GB is perfect for that.Those who don't want that need at least 64GB. I thought what they did with the Mini 2...
I dunno... The pricing does basically eliminate the iPod Touch, which I think has just been shown the door. I think you're looking at a battery issue for most of the feature the Air 2 got.   Next year, when the networking chips are less hungry and the 8X gives way to a an 8Xs, maybe you'll see feature parity (or at least no more slippage in features)
and in a strange way, this is a good thing. Nexus will further  segment high end Android sales,  and Google's ecosystem split Samsung's ecosystem. In the end, all phones will be as good as Apple, or terrible. In terms of 'phone/computer' capabilities.  Metcalf's law will drive future sales. It will be the network(cloud) ecosystem that will drive future sales.  And Apple controls the ecosystem better than Android (in this world 2 << 1), The eventual migration will be to the...
Over the course of 100M iPhone 6s and 10 Million AppleWatches... that works out to less than a penny per device. Apple spends more on the wording of the fine print on the packaging in 75 languages. Has anyone accounted the cost to apple for buying 26Million (Almost triple Diamond certification) copies of U2's album for us? (I figure that if they between 75 and 100 Million USD, if you factor in paying for the download bandwidth and all the accounting costs, the label and...
When someone asks me for a motorcycle that seats 4, I say, buy a car.  they were built for that job. But but but... they say, we want to enjoy the wind in our hair, the wonderful interface, we want to go different places, and the ability to have 4 different experiences each tailored to the individual.   I say... buy 4 motorcycles. Then they say... but why have 4 engines?  4 service agreements?  4 sets of tires to maintain? 4 smaller saddle bags, vs 1 large one.  What I...
I'd love user profiles.But I also love the chain of delegation that a single device has from me (human) to device, to OS, to apps and to app data. To keep that you would need to build virtual machines for each profile (and change the secure enclave model to support multiple profiles... in Hardware!)  And Virtual Machines means Real Something, and this case that something is RAMdisk, and that costs money, and heat, and battery. Or totally change how iOS security works....
IT may be there, but sandboxing becomes much much more complicated if you have 3 users of pages and 5 users of numbers on your iPad.Let's not kid ourselves.   The simple use case.   2 users one iPad.  iOS 8.2 comes out, User A has an app that doesn't support 8.2, User B has an app that REQUIREs 8.2.30 seconds:  Solve for both users.Tick Tick Tick.... This is the crux of 'personal computing'   vs 'shared resource' computing.