or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

No.   Amazon is quite possibly the most 'take over the retail world' minded company.  Investor's love(d) them as they continue to increase marketshare.  Profits are plowed into infrastructure and further land grabs.   It's a long game... that only they and Apple play well.   Google is too scatter brained in their efforts, like a college research lab.  Dell gave their business the away to ASUS in the same manner.   Most small business think 6 mo - 1 year in advance, but...
I think the key number is the 88% apps / 90% iPad penetration in corporations. While activations are important, from an ecosystem point of view corporations are more about the apps.   Corp apps are more expensive, and have longer lock in than phones (or apps drive phone lock in... Blackberry was pretty much a lock because of the direct integration into messaging and calendaring, and then you taught your thumbs how to dance...;-) No matter how you slice it, the numbers will...
Had to fix that last sentence. pundits and analysts don't impact the buying public.  The investing public maybe, but If the phone/laptop/tablet is good, people will buy it. Marketshare is how you measure commodity markets.  soda pop, gasoline, computer chips. Now some may say that Android may shift that in that billions of users (like Windows) will drive developers to make their apps for android first, and sell them for a nickel, and delay selling the app on an Apple...
err... most computer spending is going into the cloud.  not to the desktop.   Where I agree with you.   CISC mainframes was supplanted by RISC super minis which was supplanted by x86 'frames'    ARM will have its day in the sun, and then something else that can do mesh computing. Where I disagree:  endpoint computing is really all about UX.  Almost no-one will be running a business on a chrome book, and no one will have  _THEIR_ database wholly on the device they carry, or...
We are all history... some just take longer to decompose. 
sigh... I had to live with 64K (not 640) PSECTS and DSECT, and ISAM files, and processed millions of records a day on a sub MIPS system.  you're working with flash drives and ghz cycles.   I know we expect speediness, but it seems like a small set of problems at this time.   Time to do some computer engineering;-) Obligatory - "You were Lucky"
So this chip and this OS are basically being developed in vacuums and it will be up to the 'integrators' to make them work together.   Who is invested in Performance? (Integration is a 'time to market' problem.)  I say all this in the vein that CPUs and OSes and Compilers have cycled back to the 70's and 80's when and have learned from their mistakes as well. 1) You don't design long term backwards compatibility into your chips.  You design forward compatibility into your...
Never say never....  I think that model will be scaled down for the mini.  without the need for a DVD player and the the eventual elimination of the spinning drive (and/or the continued used of 5400rpm 2.5" drives).  the footprint of the mini will likely morph into either the Airport Extreme or the Mac Pro forms at 1/3 or 1/2 height. BTW, in terms of 'small' and powerful... the Mac Mini (4 core 2.6ghz i7) is nearly 60% more powerful (GeekBench3) per cubic inch than the Mac...
but the lithium licks are still in the staff cafeteria. There is no benefit to being beholden to  sole source provider of your technology core.  Intel was a necessary evil as they moved off PPC, and in a 10 year run, not a bad show.   Intel is now running into problems.... not the least of which is maintaining 18 year old compatibility  modes.  the iOS/OSX core technology is chipset independent.  And now with even more skillz applied to LLVM/CLANG swift/objC, the migration...
 I assure you, Intel is being reminded every week by Apple of the time when Apple switch from the POWER series to x86.  Just like you're reminded that mosquitos may draw a couple drops of blood from you from their incessant buzzing. But from Intel's perspective, it's just a flesh wound, not fatal, if Apple leaves the fold.  At least in 2014 frame of reference it is. (POWER didn't die, and Apple is still a small player in the total x86 based PC/laptop market, itself a just...