or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

It won't be touchID compatible... just an Internet connection with local wifi for the transaction to work.    The Point of Sale at Store X will need to 1) Pass the amount to the iPhone (Bluetooth most likely), and a crypto-signed proof of store identity, with time stamp2) iPhone TouchIDs through the Passbook allowing payment source to be selected3) Sends to Apple a request to Pay X, encrypted in User Y's TouchID exposed key, and in Apple's public Key (embedded on the...
I think the key issue here is how much Banks (and therefore cheques and credit cards) are mistrusted in the 2nd and 3rd world countries. in a related business note, the gov't lotteries in Central and South America almost all run via Mobile Payments exclusively.    This is why an Apple can provide effective (better than current) Proof of Identity via a TouchID enabled phone, for 30% of the 'transaction fee'.  Android phones may be able to do it as well, but if there are...
Micro Mapping will become important.   Right now mapping is pretty much at street level scale (Google's Cars driving around on roads).   Apple is trying to get down to the foot traffic level, and provide 3D level mapping of buildings.   Apple can map malls and office buildings, determine elevators, escalators, stairs, and upload these to the mother DB ("I want to meet with my Tom Smith, my broker"  Siri:"It looks like you can drive  and park and then walk in 10 minutes...
It's gotta stop soon...  1nm is really the limit (that's 2 Si crystalline units), and it's projected that will be hit in 14 years.  The other side of this is the transistor size.   Right now the practical limit is 4nm in size (that's 7 atoms). So we have about 13 years of Moore's Law and it will be slowing down (less doubling and more like 1.4x)  Then we have to shift to a totally new process, either using graphene instead of Si, and/or Phosphorus as the transistor, and...
Well, The pay Daniel Eran Dilger in audience eyeballs so he doesn't have to post to RoughlyDrafted anymore;-) Ads? there are ads on AI? (btw, you may also want to run Ghostery... to avoid the selling of your reading habits via trackers as well;-)
It's just you. The NDAs around these were iron clad, and even more so now after the lawsuit(s).    (edit: TL;DR and skip to Dark Lite's post if you want a less wordy response;-) The division itself doesn't look at the 'logic' embedded in the chip, or even cares... they are all about the how to make things small, with few and identifiable defects, and at a price that they can make a profit, yet not drive the customer away.    Samsung Electronics is about making chips.   Now...
Or any working parent of 3.  Because After 2, both arms are disabled, 
at night, in a remote cul de sac [security... I like to pre announce my arrival] with a kid in one arm and a bag of groceries in the other.... good for you. your interests define the market.... of one. Security/alarm companies will beg to differ.  And what has apple done in every market it's entered since the iPod.  It's disintermediated someoneout of the flow... making it more effective to the end consumer. I think the key item for home automation is 'effectiveness'  What...
There will be a need to constantly monitor and communicate state, and execute the realtime conditional logic..  my guess is another box needs to do that, especially for non IP devices.  The Apple end (TV or mac mini) is all about interface and database, and executing 'external' communications (email, tweets, sms, phone, web, other) , and querying the state engine, which is focused on operating the 'plant'
Door locks are easy, and if you're a sane person, they should be changed every time you move into a property, and every time a child/family member moves out (trust me on that;-). smart thermostats are now around $70 bucks.  That's all the HVAC you have to swap out. Lights... you swap out now every 2-7 years. Toss in a couple motion/occupancy(PIR) detectors, and there is a cost benefit to heating cooling lighting.    I'm saving 20-40 a month (I've got an old house that we...