or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Hence the FBI's concern.   They've been able in the past to 'fish through' phones and gmail accounts etc surreptiously, because the lock was either trivial and the remote access didn't require a court order (or at worst a FISA court order). Apple's design change to not escrow any keys has basically pushed that court order away from Apple (and in a FISA order, Apple was compelled not to leak the fact they were allowing the gov't access to an individual's data) and directly...
[edit... redundant]  Apple Stores SELL.  Bose doesn't want to be the one telling their high net worth customers to hoof it to another store to buy earphones that are slightly better than Beats or Sennheiser or HK or whatever Apple places at eye level.  Apple doesn't care, and has lawyers that are battle tested, and a war chest that could chew Bose up. I'm sensing the dropping off the shelves was Apple Telling Bose, 'how much is this worth to you?'  and Bose saying, "not...
They tried to do too much. Watching a stream isn't the problem en masse, but then sending a side channel discussion on the same page [literally] telling people what they just saw... that was the issue.   Modern data distribution networks (the dark fiber between Apple and it's CDN's and them to the major/minor ISPs/POPs) minimize the suffering.  If it were just that, the streams would suffer a lot less (there is always some level of bottleneck/throttling, but it can be...
 Why do they sell socks next to shoes?   beer next to pizza? Lube next to condoms;-) Because the customer is already in prime buying mood;-) if you walk in wanting to buy a phone and headphone pair (impulse shopping), try a couple headphones on while the apple genius syncs your phone, and walk out with a slightly deflated credit card and a pair of Beats cans with your 6+, 
There's risk in that.  If apple buys shares, the  immediate returned value (When Apple buys a billion in shares, iCahn's shares go up by at least 2-4%) and this value is folded into iCahn's current holdings, as the buyback is increasing scarcity, and increasing equity per share, which were probably bought at $60 a share, and they go up, he's seeing a massive valuation.   If they Go down, he's still holding a massive profit.  And if the market reacts to his 'pricing, they...
deferring the inevitable.  That's like saying the iPhone wasn't a Smartphone until BlackBerry like phones were 80% of the market. What is a general purpose computer- Allows you to create content - Allows you connectivity to your corporate, home and inter nets- Allows you to run open protocols (HTML, TCP/IP, etc)- can operate independent of the network (it's not a 'terminal')- Can store stuff- can be updated and extended with software and data as you desire/afford/need The...
they all (Gartner, Forrester, Frost and Sullivan et al) are. The craziness is that these firms are trying to milk money out of IT and businesses who can't do their own assessment of what's right for them, so they defer the decision to someone else ("Hey, Gartner told us that Windows Phone would be the #2 selling phone OS by 2015, that's why we spent $2M in supporting it, not because our CTO owns 10,000 shares of MS, and gets free tickets  to Mariners games from the MS...
HDMI is 'open enough.' I think getting to HDMI 2.0 (well full support of HDMI-CEC Command Bus/response as specced under 1.3.c/1.4a) and supporting any Apple Extensions to the command set is all that is needed. You can then daisy chain control of all your other devices through the TV (Send 'Rewind' to the VCR,  Send Select Menu Option 2 to DVD,  Turn up volume, and switch to Dolby 5.1 on Home Theater, etc). If the TV fully supports HDMI CEC, and listens to multiple inputs...
I think the home center will be more closely aligned with Airport Extreme than the AppleTV(TV and Media Center in your list above)
I just don't see that.  Better for Apple to steer the corporate purchase to someone who is in the industry and is skilled at managing this technology, and limits the long term risk exposure of maintaining state of the art in sapphire production. I do agree $139 Million is much closer to Apple's typical acquisition size than 2B (or 3B - e.g. Beats). And I see it's a better immediate solution than LiquidMetal has been.