or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

I wouldn't say that.    I would say... They were 3 years late in purchasing Nokia. If they had purchased Nokia and build the Surface Tablets in 2010,  They had a chance to be a 3rd player vs Android and iOS.  Now... they are not a factor at all... too little too late... too short of runway to make surface a player.
Or it's the most painful way to realize a change in direction.  This is no different than when Apple said 'NO' to the 10 or so products when Steve came back.   Focus, refocus, and focus again.   Microsoft has a couple really hard decisions.  Does it want to be the OS at the endpoint, or the SW people use, because the former means it has to own the Hardware (Nokia, Surface).   I'm reading that they want to be the SW people use, which is now App and Cloud based, not WINDOWS...
but what if samsung was the single source and they failed.   that's a FAIL.   having a supplier who is already building to spec... that's redundancy.  It may be costly, but your recovery plan is in place and tested.
To build a fab is a major CapEx undertaking, frought  with schedule and technology risk.  Better to have a samsung or a TMSC build the facility, as they do that every other year, and they have a huge number of clients to distribute the risk, and to utilize the facility once it's not the 'cutting edge' of technology supplying 'state of the shelf' chips to the masses.   Apple doesn't want to do any of that.
Less per message. More per user.   User sends me email... there is a 'magic 'detection they have an AppleID... (their public encryption key is downloaded to my contacts)...   Next time I send them a message, it's encrypted. period.  (yes there are still edge cases, and the old exchange mail webmail.bin file issue will pop its head , but it can work). around, and insanely great, and implicit in all communications to iUsers is the key. iMessage to iMessage users......
when iDevice to iDevice end user to end user (mail to me is encrypted in my public key and their private key which I can use their public key to decrypt) encryption is turned on (or MUA to MUA encryption in the general case), then I think we have achieved something. Apple has the pieces in place... they should just give us a 'trust this AppleID' which gives a key exchange for offline creation/reading. Bada Bing Bada boom.... No more feds reading our mails (unless they...
well, I'm a consumer... and this will help me buy hardcopy books that are blacklisted by  Amazon due to Amazon 'looking out for my interests'   Sigh...  Can't corporations be just be 'less evil' than yesterday?  And can't States be 'less stupid' than yesterday?
agreed. I think the IBM announcement is 2nd derivative.... 0 derivative is the product, 1st derivative is the channel/country, 2nd derivative is integration into the lives of the users... e.g. how dependent on my iDevice  will the personal, cultural, economic, business parts of me become.   The IBM announcement is all about making it easier for corporations to 'give up' their need for BlackBerries (IT needed a tool that manages iPhones as easy as BES, or Tivoli), and...
    #1, they probably already have purchased (or their employees have) a majority of their devices.   This isn't changing the demand curve other then reducing the cost of supporting the iDevices expected to be purchased. #2, and IBM isn't cost effective as a consulting/SW solution outside of the F500.   I agree... the impact of this deal doesn't affect sales so much as it impacts loss of sales of other products  I won't have to have a corporate Blackberry or WinPhone and a...
Even if it is, it's a big store.   IBM is a mainline multi-tier (cloud, managed data center, development, infrastructure, managed services, *aaS, custom SW, COTS SW, consulting, solutions, business) consultancy.  Few compete with them  soup to nuts. it may sound trivial, but managing endpoint devices is an 8digit problem for most companies that have to show 'managed endpoint security' (Factoid:  If a business does business in Massachusetts with a person or a corporation,...