or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

agreed. I think the IBM announcement is 2nd derivative.... 0 derivative is the product, 1st derivative is the channel/country, 2nd derivative is integration into the lives of the users... e.g. how dependent on my iDevice  will the personal, cultural, economic, business parts of me become.   The IBM announcement is all about making it easier for corporations to 'give up' their need for BlackBerries (IT needed a tool that manages iPhones as easy as BES, or Tivoli), and...
    #1, they probably already have purchased (or their employees have) a majority of their devices.   This isn't changing the demand curve other then reducing the cost of supporting the iDevices expected to be purchased. #2, and IBM isn't cost effective as a consulting/SW solution outside of the F500.   I agree... the impact of this deal doesn't affect sales so much as it impacts loss of sales of other products  I won't have to have a corporate Blackberry or WinPhone and a...
Even if it is, it's a big store.   IBM is a mainline multi-tier (cloud, managed data center, development, infrastructure, managed services, *aaS, custom SW, COTS SW, consulting, solutions, business) consultancy.  Few compete with them  soup to nuts. it may sound trivial, but managing endpoint devices is an 8digit problem for most companies that have to show 'managed endpoint security' (Factoid:  If a business does business in Massachusetts with a person or a corporation,...
Steve Jobs spun a deal with IBM 25 years ago with Mac OSX Alpha.   I sat in IBM Austin's Faraday cage of a meeting room to look at NeXTSTEP on an IBM RS/6000.  http://www.kevra.org/TheBestOfNext/ThirdPartyProducts/ThirdPartyHardware/NeXTSTEPonNonNeXTComputers/NeXTSTEPonNonNeXTComputers.html This deal is much more inline with no-compromise mode of 'we build the hardware AND the OS...  you just build the apps'  He developed post the WhiteBox OpenSTEP mode that sucked the...
long in gov't/corp space is 7 years.   7 years ago the iPhone was introduced.   Seems like yesterday. What I'm saying is, Windows Server die like AS/400 did for IBM (that was 2000 when they killed it).  Windows Server is less like a mainframe, because IBM is still making mainframes.  Is there a compelling reason for for Windows Server?  Other than Active Directory?  which is one VPN away from being served in the cloud.  
if you read this   and this ,   getting out of Hardware is a given, and implicitly, deprecating Windows OS as a profit leader, and focusing on cloud services (azure) and apps (outlook.com, office365, oneNote).
  I think 'no' is the right answer but for a very different reason at this time. my guess is that you can fund a card from anywhere, but funding your account from outside your country is subject to reporting to BOTH countries, for anti-terrorism, anti-money laundering, and anti-tax avoidance (simplest example:  you find $2000 on a street corner in the US, you are subject to federal and state tax on that, and likely Japan would want to take their cut of your good fortune as...
how far of a reach is it for Apple to effectively make iTunes gift cards useful for things outside of the AppStore/ITMS? The Apple Store as your cash based charging station... in the US, it's your credit or debit card. The big next step: iTunes charging stations that can be tied to merchants who accept Passbook as payment.  You walk into starbucks (any one anywhere in the world, either pay with your phone, or hand over $20 bucks and put it in one of your passbook accounts...
I don't think Cook is any better or worse than Jobs was.    Cook is running  a company arguably 3X times larger that Steve did.   When you had 2 [iPod, Mac] (or 1 as it was the case after steve 'broke the tie' and killed every thing but the Mac HW product line)  products, it was easy to work with ess delegation.  Even in Apple's Functional organization (not product line), there still has to be someone in charge of Marketing... for everything. Mr Jobs didn't have to comply...
But I'm sure they said the same thing about Steve (west coast), when compared to the Jack Welch (in the early 80's Jack was the quintessential CEO), or Tom Watson, or Seymour Cray, or Ken Olson. Or Hewlett... or Packard, or Noyce or Moore. I think the key point is in China, the Xiaomi leadership team is considered a dream team.    Doesn't matter what we think. As for android, this basically makes the major growth market for Samsung highly competitive, and it being the...