or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Agree to the 2nd part.  on the first part, there is no reason not to think that Apple develops the same sales stratification that it's seeing in the US.  70-50% of the top 40% of the income brackets.   And that drives 'want' down into the petite bourgeois strata
this.  Pandora has hit on the 'virtual program manager' in the genome system that is magically crowdsourcing and narrowcasting at the same time.    But this... I don't think iTunes Radio was the problem Beats was designed to solve.   I think it's all at the other end of the supply chain (music label relationship management).  If you're spending 10's of billions a year 'paying for the right to delivery' music from the labels, spending 2.5B to improve 'cost of goods'  (If...
meh. Show me the HomeKit integration where I can turn on my Phillips Hue Lights, turn the HVAC from 'no one home' to 'occupied' and turn off my ELK Alarm system, and unlock my back door as I walk toward my back door.
I concur.  I upgraded to 8GB on my 2010 Mini, and was hitting the wall constantly (I was running ICleanMemory every 30 minutes or so).   Upgrading to Mavericks reduced the performance degradation at 7.5GB in use or above.  replacing the stock HD with SSD made this computer spiffy fast.    Spending $400 on Memory and an SSD*  was a better upgrade path (saving money to buy dual 27" monitors in my near future). *(All was not good... I torqued my SuperDrive in putting the SSD....
 That's where Airplay would be nice.   I'm at a 2010 mac Mini... I had a 25' HDMI cable connected to my mini for that in the past... now I'm in a different room... Airplay would be great.    Power Nap is another 'needs a newer CPU/Motherboard' limitation.  AirDrop is less limited, isn't supported on all Mavericks supported configs. The over/under on all Apple SW functionality on Apple HW is about 2.5 years.     On phone's this is closer to 1.9 years.   In my line of work,...
1) nothing on Beats in the keynote2) Wall Street buys on the rumor, sells on the news.   we've had 6 weeks of rumors.  Today was news.3) Tim Cook does a lot less than Steve Jobs did.  That said, he's no Steve Jobs, but compared to any other CEO, he's a lot better to listen to.
my issue with that is its the 'identity' that is the basis of the risk.  Why should Apple not build a payment app, given that if there is a breach, the payment apps will blame apple (until they can't... but deep pockets make for an inviting target). I would posit that the TouchID kit will become the necessitated convenience of having 2 factor authentication for apps that really require it (banking, stocks, healthcare, heck... Facebook, ebay, etc etc etc), and Apple staking...
probably not.  Zwave is a signaling (mesh network) standard, not a company/device.  I doubt Apple will use it's radios to talk to it, More like if there will be an automation controller that does exposes the ZWave network to an HomeKit controller app.  There are a few home automation 'standards' '(the good thing about standards are... there are so many to choose from' ;-) ) , time will tell if this is a shot across their bow, or an opportunity to integrate with HomeKit,...
agreed. The home just became an iPhone accessory.   Just like your car did.and pretty soon your body. This will take time.   Home Automation is 'hard'  Nest did a great job in 'learning' and overriding  learning.   But things like complex scenes (turn on and off lights inside and out as if we are in the house [aka vacation mode]) are complex for the average person to grok.   And the hard stuff (I want my irrigation system to "turn on at 4 in the morning on Tuesday if less...
+1. Agreed. I see a whole slew of HW.  And a whole slew of stuff that won't happen, specifically, Apple will not in the short term build a LTE chip into a laptop (tethering/hotspotting will become second nature). The cloud stuff piques my interest in Cloud syncing to local intermediate devices (write through caching on a Airport/TimeCapsule/AppleTV).  Depending on a 3rd party (my ISP) for a great experience is begging for trouble.   Especially with homeKit, why not have a...