or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

fingerprint is probably the only one that would not be a health sensor. Proximity is important (to eliminate false positives... Loss of signal, sudden 2 foot drop... is he dead/ he fainting, or is he stripping down for a shower and tossing things in his bag...  oh right, it's farther than 1" away from a warm blooded object (until the dog starts chewing on them)?) gyro/accelerometer are motion/effort detection [crude... but it's the pedometer mph calculator] light sensor......
The watch/earphone advantage, short and long term is the 'fixed' location and pressure.   Even duplication is not a great solution: Having 7 blood pressure sensors (or temp) in a shirt is great if 5 aren't connected, but unless you're doing some pretty complex math, the pressure at your neck is different than your waist, under your arm, or at your wrist.  knowing it's on your wrist (or in your ear), and always there, give you a better longitudinal (relative ups and downs),...
blood sugar is still a bit far, and your ear canal is probably not suitable for it. Pulse OX may be possible (reflectively, although that is not as accurate as the pass thru at the finger), and that's a big seller for the COPD crowd. The other is Blood Pressure.    Which is one of the big 4 (Blood sugar, HR, BP, Temp) for real time monitoring.
This.   The home is a battlefield of the IoT, and there will be a lot of shakeout.   Better to sell handles to the shovel makers, than try to make a better one. And this is why an HealthKit is less of an issue.  Pretty much a singular backend protocol (HL7), and all 'real medical' front end protocols are pretty closed and proprietary (somehow I don't want my pacemakers to talk to just anyone [see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Hearts_(Homeland) ].   Apple can come in...
I think the protocols/vendors need to build a 'HomeKit' App.   Apple is not trying to build a 'Smart Home App,' nor try to support every or any protocol. I'm pressuring my vendor (perceptiveautomation) to build into their current app HomeKit capabilities.   With my Mini hosting the 'control the controllers' daemon, instead of clicking on my IndigoHome app, I just say, 'Siri, Please set the Scene to Movie Theatre'  (which dims the lights to 25% on the diffuse lighting turns...
Industrial Light and Magic App.   Replaces the an entire datacenter rendering farm, a graphics workstation the size of  your sofa, and hours/days of compute time and puts it in a box smaller than the VCR cassette the original movie shipped in.   Think about it.  
News... or matter of fact.  Given Apple's Growth rates, if it needs X sapphire production day 0, day 365 it will need 1.50X  (Apple's growth is that much YoY for flagship phones and iPads).   We should be seeing LOTS of sapphire plants opening up all over the world with 50% YoY growth.
hmmm....AMZN  36B in Assets, 3B in LT debt.  10B in equity.  80B in sales a year.   Not really precariously perched.  They run their business more like a Target than an Apple, which makes sense in a couple ways (they are a retailer, and no one is like Apple)   In fact looking at their financials, they are pretty much just like Target, with less debt. No one is screaming that Target is on the brink of never recovering, and they had a terrible 6 months.
And Apple is doing the same, at least in terms in owning 'the consumer interface to all markets.'    Both Apple and Amazon have a long view of the battle field that goes beyond 10Q statements.   Their key to success is 'stickiness'  For Apple, it's a compelling ecosystem that helps thinkers develop solutions.  For amazon, it having your every desire a 'one click' purchase.  If they can make a head gesture into a click and the market responds positively, they are proceding...
That last sentence I don't follow.  is that [sarcasm] or [smile]? 2) things that you didn't factor1) Prime users switching TO ATT.  If your wireless connection is just a big pipe, and you're a heavy Prime user.  You may buy this phone and switch.2) Trade Downs within contracts... getting a 2nd phone passing down a hand me down iPhone 4s or 5. my guess is that Amazon would Like to see 400K a month in sales US. which is huge. and probably doubling next year as they roll-out...