or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

bzzt, wrong answer, try again. Apple invented the 3.5" computer that had a wireless phone app.  But phones with touch screens, browsers and apps existed much earlier. What Apple really invented was making the end-user the smartphone customer, not the carrier.  That was and is the innovation that has them differentiated from everyone else.
that 2nd half is telling.  Differentiation.   Other than size and Blackberry, can you look quickly and say... that one is NOT an iPhone. What differentiates a smartphone today.  _Being_ Smart.   for you. Samsung's numbers (and the resultant stock price increase today says this) have pretty much been in the know for 3 months.   There are diminishing returns in hitting niches in visible capabilities.  Spec Wars.  Larger, faster, more ram, more ports, more G's (What my wife...
My guess... 30-45 minutes more time in a 'normal' usage model (what ever normal is.. but it's not heavy wifi, screen updating, lots of background updates... which I've found map/travel apps to be pretty heavy duty).   so 5-8% more 'use'.   I think a bulk of  savings will come from iOS 8 tweaking to optimize to the A8 and drop all tradeoffs for the A5 and lower.  Efficient chip, Better OS code, better battery tech, more battery, better LED tech.
the TL;DR of it all: Samsung, a multi-conglomerate who makes things to make money, is dominating the Android Market and is pressing at Apple's Heels at the high end in high end markets, But this competition bodes well for Apple, as it gives them a capable competitor which oils their creative machine.   And Brent is a recent Apple Convert via the iPhone.  And to me... Apple is doing well in the established markets, where they are the preferred 'next' smartphone, after...
Actually The opposite is more likely the case. TouchID for 'trusted' scenarios TouchID AND passcode/word for untrusted. in a trusted scenario, timers may be relaxed...  instead of 5 minutes in your home, it's 5 hours, or until you leave the premises (and premise can be effectively your WiFi range and/or a GPS/accelerometer distance away (end of your driveway, and not in your CarPlay enabled car that has your iDevice registered).    That's what I want.  I'm at a truck stop,...
Most of Human's 'smartness' is contextual awareness, and learned adaptation.   Machines can do this. Your 2nd paragraph can be equally applied as a racist screed and states a fear that you don't believe your first paragraph.
 It won't stop Samsung buyers from buying iPhones, but it may stop Android users from buying iPhones...       You can't ask them to leave a competitive market and then in the next breath appreciate the competition they bring to that market. BTW, One Samsung's core competencies IS consumer/business electronics.   Semiconductors is just a part of that.  (Their Land Construction and Ship Building are also pretty huge... no one is asking them to just build container ships).
It won't be touchID compatible... just an Internet connection with local wifi for the transaction to work.    The Point of Sale at Store X will need to 1) Pass the amount to the iPhone (Bluetooth most likely), and a crypto-signed proof of store identity, with time stamp2) iPhone TouchIDs through the Passbook allowing payment source to be selected3) Sends to Apple a request to Pay X, encrypted in User Y's TouchID exposed key, and in Apple's public Key (embedded on the...
I think the key issue here is how much Banks (and therefore cheques and credit cards) are mistrusted in the 2nd and 3rd world countries. in a related business note, the gov't lotteries in Central and South America almost all run via Mobile Payments exclusively.    This is why an Apple can provide effective (better than current) Proof of Identity via a TouchID enabled phone, for 30% of the 'transaction fee'.  Android phones may be able to do it as well, but if there are...
Micro Mapping will become important.   Right now mapping is pretty much at street level scale (Google's Cars driving around on roads).   Apple is trying to get down to the foot traffic level, and provide 3D level mapping of buildings.   Apple can map malls and office buildings, determine elevators, escalators, stairs, and upload these to the mother DB ("I want to meet with my Tom Smith, my broker"  Siri:"It looks like you can drive  and park and then walk in 10 minutes...