or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

It's not in its infancy... more like it hasn't had it's great convergence yet.   And Nest while a compelling simple interface, doesn't scale well to 'real' automation problems, which unlike heating and cooling, are less about 'learning' and more about integrating several systems and their rules into a cohesive set of expected outcomes, and also a whole much of real mechanical issues (integrating with blinds, windows, pumps, etc)  My guess is that Apple doesn't want to be a...
late in the game (working in a classified network during the day), but this. Once you register your 'nest' with Nest using a google account, and look at the sort of data Nest will be playing with- utilities- environmentals (is it cold where you live?  hot?)- safety/security- activity patterns- home automationThis sort of information is gold for google to link to you (and your children's) profile, and crowdsourcing as well (the geo data... you're looking at a nielsen's...
I think O365 will lock messaging into the M$ecosystem, but where I am looking at 'next gen' corporations will be:A. outsourcing messagingB. Building Virtual Desktops for legacy appsC. BYODD. Building mobile apps for everything new. As soon B happens, Windows goes the way of the 3270emulator.  As soon as A and C gain momentum, The rest of M$ enterprise is 'just another middleware'  and D will cause businesses to look at what people are buying (and what fits securely [and...
True Dat - on both counts.
There is a reason for Apple to maintain distinct 'choices' and not cloud the decisions of it's client base.   You want a 'phone' or a 'tablet' but you don't see apple making their clients brain hurt with 'phablet'  . And I'll double down against any crossing that chasm in that direction.   I will bet you that there will crossover points... big phone (6") and small tablet (8"),   Big tablet (12"), Small laptop (13"), dedicated media center (iTV) and shared device...
I think from a car mfg point of view it's more like carriers.  It's about having 'control' and a 'low price component' when it comes to this sort of thing.    The problem with an outside device connecting to your car is that in 3 years, Apple can come up with a new and amazing thing that your make won't be compatible with and the cost for the new stuff is out of your hands.  Clients then evolve to another make and you're 'locked into' a decision to support apple...
'The Remote' will end up being your iDevice.   If you go with Apple's basic premise that every man, woman, child, and dog will have their TouchID identified iP*, then the moment you click on the 'Remote' App, you'll be identified to the AppleTV (or whatever home system you are trying to remote into... (e.g. thermostat, garage door opener, Kuerig [oh Solipsism, here's your half caf, no fat, 2 sugar latte], gun case, whatever)*).  This is consistent with 'identifying' you as...
well, it was 4.2Million more units than my estimate;-)
I wasn't predicting, just scenario-izing.    I wouldn't be surprised if Intel rebounded really well this year and next.   But their focus on the mobile market has been there for years,and by most accounts, has been less than amazing in terms of performance envelope in real world implementations.
I suspect it sooner (Chinese New Year), but otherwise I concur. most importantly, neither wants to bend, as it opens the door for all their other supplier/carriers to ask for the same concession.