or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

you realize that your 0.00001oz  i7 chip in your iMac came from likely a couple sq CMs of a couple micrometers sliver of a 75KG Silicon boule, don't you? If not, go back and learn about the process. your logic is quite stale.
Same executive orders that Reagan, Bush the first (accelerated citizenship for those who enlist), and Bush the 2nd issued (the whole issue with Central American Youth's coming to America is because Bush signed an exec order saying to give them a fair amnesty hearing) Don't try to make this political when it's a racial thing.
The idea is you can encrypt to protect "America's Interests", but the Gov't must always have access to the key that they can use before they tell you they are suspecting you.  Warrantless Search.  So your 'PreCrime' statement isn't far from the truth. that's the issue with iMessage et al.   The keys are created and stored by the two phones in use.  The Gov't can't go to the single key escrow point (the server) and say, please give us all the messages.   They want Apple to...
It used to be that the Communists would get our encryption and blow up the world.  Ask Phil Zimmerman about his life in the early nineties.  Use of PGP was considered probable cause. We are killing all sorts of people with our encryption now (you think the commands to drones are sent out using ROT13?). This is 'we can imagine it, because we are doing it' rationalization.
make sure you're turning off all extensions (adblock and ghostery for me generate the the slowdown symptoms in safari, by a massive memory 'leak' while running and it ends up in Page Fault Hell). Chrome doesn't show the major impact by the extensions.  I just ran sun spider on both just now on my 2010 mac mini 10.10.1 8GB(first number was chrome 39)===============================================================================** TOTAL **: - ...
I think John, while full of himself, is also one that doesn't push crazy rumors... A Birdie of a Birdie is his way of saying , a 'trusted source who has links into Apple."   Now, it's a rumor, and John said so, and he said he didn't know how it could work, so he's not hallucinating a vaunted camera. And he's also a bit of a camera snob (as is his podcast mate), so he's at least aware of the technology limitations. but... with enough software and hardware speed, my guess is...
all good points, and I agree.  Apple will continually play the top players against each other for pricing and risk aversion advantage.   Apple gets TSMC to be the primary this year for XX/chip and a max run of chips (as many as you can make which has to be >> than projected device sales).  Samsung is the 2ndary and produces chips for the first 4 months at XX+YY/chip, but at a limited run, with options to extend if TSMC fails to deliver, or demand is greater  than...
I think you have to realize that Apple is now in that rarified air that unless you're a top 5 chip maker, to hit apple's quality/timeline/quantity deadlines, it's a high risk business, where Apple drives the deal. (See GTAT). And Apple is all about competition for it's business.  I'm sure it's been shopping this offering between TMSC, Intel, and Samsung for a few months.   The fact that TMSC is a player now, gives the others incentive to lower their profit margins to gain...
all of this is moot. The Aseries is one designed for one OS, one vendor set of related devices, really just one compiler from 2 languages. Apple can tune the performance of their CPU/GPUs to exactly match their intended code use model, learn how to modulate the clocking to optimize performance, and how to keep the pipes full and context switching to a minimum.   the 64 bit move...  all for databus optimization, because most of what moves on the iOS HW, in and out of...
you are the 1%.  1% of 7Billion is 70million...  A big number.  I see the mac Pro and the iMac living on for a long time, but the MacBook Air... my guess is 5 years before ARM is more cost effective, and at that point, Apple will be making a hard decision as to the MBA is a OS X box (keyboard/touchpad), or a keyboard/touchscreen iOS device. And who's to say that Macs will be required for compiling at that point... This cloud thing... works pretty well.  save your code to...