or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

all of this is moot. The Aseries is one designed for one OS, one vendor set of related devices, really just one compiler from 2 languages. Apple can tune the performance of their CPU/GPUs to exactly match their intended code use model, learn how to modulate the clocking to optimize performance, and how to keep the pipes full and context switching to a minimum.   the 64 bit move...  all for databus optimization, because most of what moves on the iOS HW, in and out of...
you are the 1%.  1% of 7Billion is 70million...  A big number.  I see the mac Pro and the iMac living on for a long time, but the MacBook Air... my guess is 5 years before ARM is more cost effective, and at that point, Apple will be making a hard decision as to the MBA is a OS X box (keyboard/touchpad), or a keyboard/touchscreen iOS device. And who's to say that Macs will be required for compiling at that point... This cloud thing... works pretty well.  save your code to...
closing the gap is a race term..."Intel can close the gap in the race, even with the x86 boat anchor firmly attached to one ankle, and it's relay partners using a generic OS and "race to the bottom" chipsets running on top of their HW.... competing against teams that can cut a runner and put in a new one every year, because they control the selection of the team, heck they control the breeding of the team. I don't think so. My guess is Intel doesn't feel it's playing...
I think that latter statement is less about the cpu chip and more about the tradeoffs between lightness and toughness. As for your first point... I think everyone is missing a key point, but you are closest  Why does a Mac need to be x86?  It doesn't   It's nice to be x86 for those few people who want to run BootCamp or PC emulators. But ARM can emulate x86 (much like current Intel really emulates 486)... and with Apple's efficiencies in xMP computing (grand central) it...
DING!!!!   The new tech economy will swirl around mobile and cloud services to corp and individuals.  Nadella is driving MS that way, and being in Apple's Orbit.   Microsoft has realized that's how it got to number one... starting off in IBM's economic gravitation, and slingshotting to it's own galactic formation. It's a repeatable process.
I dunno.  I see the 5s migrating to 'free'[$400 unsubbed]  in the current form (cheaper than a new engineering run to get the touchID into a plastic case... for a 'free' phone), a 6'c' coming in (your mini) in plastic at $99 (an iPhone 6 in plastic), and then the 6s and 6s+  (I think they will drive performance parity for the 'tock' phase of upgrades). When you get to the iPhone 7, thats when all design bets are off. Back to the original premise. I do think the 6+ will...
definidefinitely.  And heaven help the stores that run out of stuff.   Getting an iPhone for $95 off is a great deal, but they want you in the store.  If I can get the same online, I'm getting it there (phones are lousy gifts, at least buying a month a head of time).
But... if they know we know that...  Won't they zag when we think they should zig?
People said I was improperly painting Tim Cook's Supply Chain Management Team as 'Stone Cold Company Killers'   Heck, I think I underestimated them.     Pegatron doesn't have to 'invent' something, all they have to do is provide the floorspace, the loading docks, and the skilled workers (who they have to pay an amazing wage with great benefits relative to most piece assembly work in China).  Apple will show them great upfront money (no risk), but the QA numbers will be...
and I'm still using a iPhone 4s (2011) and iPad 2 .    Granted both are at 8.1  And that is the issue...  Most Android users have no easy way to update their OS, and Google doesn't care.   And Apple sweats the fact to support a device software wise for at least 2 years (more like 4).  Google and the Android Cabal.... not so much.