or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

The App store (especially in-app functionality purchases) are an interesting implementation of Alan Cox's  (father of ObjC) concept of the 'software IC'   where micro payments are made every unit of time you use something.  micro royalties, pay per use, whatever.   If you're paying .99 for something... would you pay less  (0.01) and use a broader set of valuable stuff.   Apply that to Siri and custom filters.  and then apply Siri coming back and saying... "I have a custom...
Exactly.   The right tool for the job at hand, but no tool excludes the use of another  The problem with hybrid on a lower power computing device is that it negates much of the benefit.     Now, if I can just get my calendars to sync all the time.
I would argue that the 'revolution' cycle time has decreased by an order of magnitude, and increased on world social impact by an order of magnitude.  10% of every man/woman/child in the world has smartphones now.  .00....01% had access to a 'computer' before 'personal' computers.  and I would argue it was never a PC thing, but a network (lower case 'n') thing, which at its root, a speed of communication thing. The iPad/iPhone is just a very convenient Internet Spigot you...
3.  "Others" = "A Lot of Kindles"
 My guess your desire for the old 'docking station' will not be an Apple product.... because...- Power will shift to inductive.- 'ac' networking will approach gigabit speeds- speakers/display are 'airplay' now.- BT keyboard  (mouse/trackpad... maybe soon)- Continuity gives you the ability to have both worlds for all your dual-platform 'content'. I do see the market for what you want (5% of a 27% of a global market... is a bit number). Apple would rather sell...
 The key item with tablets is the interface to the world.    Apple, given their single source model, can support more models backwards, so there is even less 'turns' for SW improvements, but on the other hand, every 3 years there will/could/likely/possibly be a HW integration that is must have.   TouchID I think is key**  and I think that a commercial version of 'wallet' will also be important (not for payment but for proof of self/afiliation....  Watching Wedding...
Rolex unless something happened overnight is privately held (it's a Swiss thing).  They are not a Swatch Subsidiary/brand (not that I'd care, but my watch collection consists of 3 Rolexes my dad gave me...  He being an US Air Force guy, Rolex was officer bling in the 50's ;-)     From Wikipedia.... these are the Swatch Family of watches Prestige and Luxury Range Breguet Harry Winston Blancpain Glashütte Original Jaquet Droz Léon Hatot Omega  High...
IBM has an army of 10,000's of developers/contractors around the globe, and a way to productize a custom developed app (they have another army of 10,000 tech writers and marketing folk).   IBM sees enterprise problems, can develop the solution on the clients dime (client funded R&D), generalize it with a low infusion of product development $$, and push it out the door to every other enterprise client. Given IBM's Analytics/Big Data bent,  iOS integration into their...
I prefer to think that after 3 generations IphoneIphone 4Iphone 5s the smartphone market is pretty much matured.  There is a sweet spot that Apple has firmly entrenched as the Zeroth Tier.  There are first tier variants primarily on size, and 2nd tier variants on function and price.    If the functions aren't perfect, and align with human expectations, it's a tough row to hoe.   There will be no iPhone Killer... The thing that kills the iPhone will be something that...
 I remember when I went to work for Big Big Pharma, and the mantra for Big P Project Management (like drug projects), was "The entire purpose for project management is to eliminate all reasons to say 'YES' to this compound as a profitable drug as quickly as possible.  That allows us to kill them early and focus those R&D monies on those proven to improve medicine."  In essence, the goal of management is to maximize profits by minimizing R&D on 'proven losers,' and instead,...