or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

It was noted in the trial closing arguments (I can't find the transcripts of the evidence produced and them tying it to the email memos that led to the 'crisis in design' moment where the copying was supposedly authorized)  that Samsung SemiConductor, in the course of doing business with apple was becoming more interested in the 3GS 'aesthetics' asking more and more questions about it in 2008 (why would a chip group ask about rubber banding and rounded square icons), and...

Misek proclaimed (via cnet) in June: "Our checks also indicate that Apple's wafer starts at Samsung's Austin fab have likely been cut" Maybe that's 'otherwise' but that's my reference.  One could argue that's retroactive (and not forward looking), but the premise of his guidance was 'Apple to cut iPhone orders for the rest of the [2013] year.'   And I wasn't presupposing launch, just A6 chip starts.
 Samsung Electronics, it's parent company.   and yes it's an implication.  Not bearing in fact.   The fact is Samsung is under injunction to be ready to prove that any designs of it's devices must not be derivative of Apple Product technically or in 'dress.'   The fact that that paper exists, give them 'faster entry' into any Samsung business, as the court has already ruled in favor.   No Samsung Semi person will risk another Billion of punitive damages in sharing...
 Same with my iPhone 4s… screen transisitions seem slow… But… I've threatened it with a 5s upgrade… It will either improve or be sent to some unknowing relative as a regifted phone;-)
I agree on the A7 (first batches need to minimize variations). However, on the A6X and A6, I would argue that TMSC can be making these chips in parallel for other products (5c?).  Again, If you feel the analysts misread the pipeline by focusing only on Samsung, then you would assume that there are multiple sources for the A series chips. You say 'compromise' as if it's a bad thing;-) Why do investors hedge investments.  It's a long term risk reduction strategy.  I may make...
 Actually, I think it's called a 'court order' in this case.  There were NDAs before, My guess is that Samsung is enjoined by both contractual penalty and court decree that if Apple 'sniffs' a leak, they can come down with a subpoena for all of Samsung's internal communications, and slap them with a judicially approved fine that would be a serious penalty if found twice failing to honor the NDA.    Samsung Chip Fabs need to run at full capacity to be profitable.  Apple is...
 in the next 1-3 years, agreed.  But always having an MBA prototype that is AxX powered as you walk into a meeting with Intel for long term 'partnership' discussions  is a strong bargaining chip.   Apple is the big consumer of high end Intel x86 chips… and controls it's own ARM chip development.  It makes for good negotiations on both pricing and capabilities (for stuff like GPUs). Your point on 'windows universe already used it….'  what happens when 40% of the 'personal...
maybe.  Minimally, there will be internal 'show this baby to Intel before you start negotiating on the haswell follow-on chip' prototype to use as a negotiation chip.  Intel has to respect the fact that Apple has potential low cost options (no intel tax) via ARM. No.  Apple will always leave the Fab to someone else.  For the similar reasons… It's too expensive to get into the business, and they can play the fab players against each other on discounting the bulk creation of...
 almost all hacks are this.   Most people don't need to worry about their yahoo account password, either.  But some do.  Caveat Emptor. But, I don't think homeless, addicts are the threat... if anything they are the mules who are paid $50 to 'steal' phones.  But if it's a targetted attack ("I got a good fingerprint at my fake ATM system... now... go roll that guy in the blue hat and white jacket and bring me his iPhone... I want the rest of his money")   Until someone does...