or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

deferring the inevitable.  That's like saying the iPhone wasn't a Smartphone until BlackBerry like phones were 80% of the market. What is a general purpose computer- Allows you to create content - Allows you connectivity to your corporate, home and inter nets- Allows you to run open protocols (HTML, TCP/IP, etc)- can operate independent of the network (it's not a 'terminal')- Can store stuff- can be updated and extended with software and data as you desire/afford/need The...
they all (Gartner, Forrester, Frost and Sullivan et al) are. The craziness is that these firms are trying to milk money out of IT and businesses who can't do their own assessment of what's right for them, so they defer the decision to someone else ("Hey, Gartner told us that Windows Phone would be the #2 selling phone OS by 2015, that's why we spent $2M in supporting it, not because our CTO owns 10,000 shares of MS, and gets free tickets  to Mariners games from the MS...
HDMI is 'open enough.' I think getting to HDMI 2.0 (well full support of HDMI-CEC Command Bus/response as specced under 1.3.c/1.4a) and supporting any Apple Extensions to the command set is all that is needed. You can then daisy chain control of all your other devices through the TV (Send 'Rewind' to the VCR,  Send Select Menu Option 2 to DVD,  Turn up volume, and switch to Dolby 5.1 on Home Theater, etc). If the TV fully supports HDMI CEC, and listens to multiple inputs...
I think the home center will be more closely aligned with Airport Extreme than the AppleTV(TV and Media Center in your list above)
I just don't see that.  Better for Apple to steer the corporate purchase to someone who is in the industry and is skilled at managing this technology, and limits the long term risk exposure of maintaining state of the art in sapphire production. I do agree $139 Million is much closer to Apple's typical acquisition size than 2B (or 3B - e.g. Beats). And I see it's a better immediate solution than LiquidMetal has been.
Apple may have been surprised by the bankruptcy filing, yet fully aware of the the technical/contractual issues pertaining to GTAT meeting Apple's requirements.  GTAT has other clients, revenues sources, and probably didn't grant Apple visibility into their day to day financials.   And the statement is a cover for 'We're not bad, we're just good at business dealings' Corporate message. 
A very useful app for me is 'Clinometer'  it requires being flat on a table, or on edge. (I use it for landscaping, leveling furniture, laying floors and framing rooms).  Think Bubble level and surveyors transit in one. It appears I need a 'squared edge' cover to continue to use it 'hands free'.  Either that or get a mounting frame with 3 degrees of square.
err.  if your iPhone and watch can do NFC, why does your iPad need to do NFC?  and aren't the  parts of a phone and a watch 'separate'? The magic of Apple Pay and POS interaction is 'signing it' with a biometric.   your phone is in your pocket, your iPad is in your bag.  your watch is on your arm and monitoring your HR (another biometric).  The goal is NOT to pull something out of your bag to pay for something (from the end user perspective.  just wave your phone and touch...
 Apple isn't selling to you. For the job you need, XP is great for you.  And google's model works for you.  Great.   You've proven that Apple isn't forcing/monopolizing the computing market.